• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift instructions

Serveck

NAXJA Forum User
i just tried searching all over thesse forums and google and i could not find a very detailed walkthrough of how to put on a 3" lift. i just picked it up yesterday and i have a general idea of how to do it, but the front end has me confused. i just attempted doing the rear but i could not get the nuts off of the Ubolts. if someone can link me to a detailed walkthrough of how to put a basic 3" lift kit on (rear springs, front coils, control arms, track bar etc..) that would be alot of help as i want to have the lift done on saturday.

if u couldnt get the U-bolt nuts off way till u try to get the actual leaf spring bolts out ... good luck ...
do u have new leaf packs?
Best bet for the front is a spring compreser mad it so much more easier for me ... Autozone lends them out ... other then that just take everything off and then reverse the prosses ...

the leaf packs are already built (my freind went up to 4.5" and i got his 3") and they sag very little (ill just put some 1" shackles if needed) but all i need now is a 1" transfer case drop and im all set. but what i need is detailed instructions of how to do a basic 3" lift (its a bastard pack of many parts) but as most jeeps are identical the instuctions should be universal, what i need is those instructions.

like he said check the rough country site ...
even if its not the 3 inch instructions its all the same swaping leaf and coil springs

it looks like i may be able to attempt this myself, ill have some help as well. but i do need a torch to get thesse off., btw.. if i DO break upper shock mounts what do i need to do to fix them? and B. looking at the rear leaf pack it seems that the leafs are the same thickness at the point i connects to the axle, but what size are those ubolts? and 3. how do i go about relocating my brake lines? if i need to? thanks.

4x4life05 said:
You shouldn't have to relocate your brake lines with only a 3" lift, they'll be fine
The RC Kit has very detailed instructions in it. (Just completed mine 3")
The rear is very easy and straight forward. Get two 3" C-Clamps $3 @ ACE hardware in the "Cheap bin".

BTW-
You MUST have a good quality spring compressor to remove and install the front coils. $50 at Advance Auto via “Loan-a-tool” program, but you get the $50 back when you return the tool. (Hint: If you have grease or oil on the coils, clean them and dry them well or the tools may slip-OUCH!):repair: Remove the front calipars for clearance during install.
Here is the difference I achieved with the RC 3” Kit
http://www.blufalcon.com/xj/images/compair.jpg

Last edited:
Serveck said:
it looks like i may be able to attempt this myself, ill have some help as well. but i do need a torch to get thesse off., btw.. if i DO break upper shock mounts what do i need to do to fix them? and B. looking at the rear leaf pack it seems that the leafs are the same thickness at the point i connects to the axle, but what size are those ubolts? and 3. how do i go about relocating my brake lines? if i need to? thanks.

My Maine friend, I would recommend you have a torch, sawzall and welder available, as well as plenty of PB Blaster and a long breaker bar. Air tools and deep impact sockets also are a good idea. I don't think there is much chance that those shock mounts WON'T break--get ready to cut holes in your floor to reach them.

You must acquire the correct U bolt for your axle--the spring pack does not matter. You can order them, or get them from a local shop (Harry J. Smith up here in Waterville has them--I don't know about shops down your way).

Good luck!

mecompco said:
My Maine friend, I would recommend you have a torch, sawzall and welder available, as well as plenty of PB Blaster and a long breaker bar. Air tools and deep impact sockets also are a good idea. I don't think there is much chance that those shock mounts WON'T break--get ready to cut holes in your floor to reach them.

You must acquire the correct U bolt for your axle--the spring pack does not matter. You can order them, or get them from a local shop (Harry J. Smith up here in Waterville has them--I don't know about shops down your way).

Good luck!

PB Blaster! Yup, I used the better part of a whole can. Good Idea.

well.. this thing has lived in maine its entire life, and with all the salt and crap they put on the roads and then they go and make stricter rust laws.. thus making huge holes. hypocrits...

Serveck said:
well.. this thing has lived in maine its entire life, and with all the salt and crap they put on the roads and then they go and make stricter rust laws.. thus making huge holes. hypocrits...

Yeah, and my favorite "easy" sticker man has left the business (not voluntarily, I'm afraid) so I'll need to shop around for someone who won't hassle me about the new lift. I am keeping my 235s for inspection time--I pretty sure the 33s won't cut it ;-)

Oh, ran across this pretty good lift-install writeup, with pix, over on JeepForum (where I spend a lot of time):
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404101

This Jeep is in Cali, so they didn't have many of the issues I had (and you will likely have) with shock bolts breaking, rear shackle bolts breaking (the captive nut inside the "frame") and the rear leaf busing rusting solid to the bolt (torch to the rescue!). The back is so bad, because you can't even get Blaster on the threads that are up against the floor or inside the "frame".

i just put a RC 3" on my 91 XJ...the rear bolts are a pain, but with patience, PB Blaster, and and a braker bar I was able to muscle them out. It took me about 3 days (after soaking the bolts for a week) and a couple of six packs. For the front, I jacked the XJ up as far as I could and set it on stand sitting on some heafty wood blocks. With the front axel allthe way down I was able to just pull the springs right out.

Back