• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the water going?

sanjosesteve

NAXJA Forum User
The coolant reservoir on my 2000 XJ is often empty. (Like almost every time I check it.) I'll fill it today and by next Friday it will be empty. I have a 1 year old radiator, a new radiator cap and no coolant leak that I can find. No water in the oil.
For the reservoir to empty this often, I'd expect to see a drip somewhere. I carefully fill the thing and then look for a leak at the bottom. Never seen anything seep out. Anyone ever have this problem? I've had it for at least 6 months prior to replacing the radiator. (Which was the result of a minor accident) Thought the new radiator would fix it but that was not the case.
It's a mystery......to me anyway. -SF

Check the small hose that runs from the fill neck of the radiator to the resivoir. I had one that was worn through on the bottom (out of site) and lost water into the fan blades. Baffled me for a month till I pulled the hose off. Good luck

You're not noting any steam coming out the tailpipe, are you? Dumb question, but it bears asking.

That reservoir is usually good for about a quart or so - so I'd think you'd notice where it was going, unless you've got a head gasket seep or something like that. Have you run a compression test?

maybe your boiling over every time you shut off your car? red lines water wetter works really well, and so does good ole anti freeze

x2 on 0331 membership. Check the bottom of your oil cap for any abnormal residues. Also shine a flashlight in your valvecover and see if you can see a crack between your #3 and 4 cylinder. The cracks are very fine when they occur so you might not see one but if you do see it then you know for sure.

X3 i joined and its not a fun club... check the oil level to see if its high... any sludge on the oil filler cap after it gets hot?

It's a popular club with forced memberships.

He says there's no coolant in the oil, but it could be going other places.

I do know the later models don't have a heater valve, so his heater core has flow all the time...even in the summer when you are using A/C. Smell a sweet smell inside? His heater core could have a leak too. You can't see it though as it's behind the dash.

Blaine B. said:
It's a popular club with forced memberships.

He says there's no coolant in the oil, but it could be going other places.

I do know the later models don't have a heater valve, so his heater core has flow all the time...even in the summer when you are using A/C. Smell a sweet smell inside? His heater core could have a leak too. You can't see it though as it's behind the dash.

That's why I suggested a compression test - if the head gasket is weeping, you'll pick it up with a compression test. As far as I recall, the 0331 club just has coolant going into the oil, no? The crack always seems to be on top of the head, allowing the water jacket and the engine oil to communicate.

I dunno. Could the head crack in such a way where coolant would be exposed to the exhaust valves?

I've never taken apart an engine...hope not to for awhile longer either :rolleyes:

5-90 said:
You think the 0331 club just picked up a new member?

First thing that came to my mind as well.

Take the oil cap off and shine a flash light down there. Look towards the right and if it's cracked, you should see it.

How has your oil pressure and level been? If the pressure is running lower than usual or the oil is high it may be the "c" word for the head.
If you don't mind dropping about $20, you can send a sample of your oil to these guys
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
They can tell if the coolant going to the oil.
HTH

First thing I would do while it's cold, top off the radiator with coolant mix, then fill the tank to cold. Start the engine and go for a 4 min drive, make it short, then pull back in to your driveway and pop the hood. Look under the water pump, there is a weep hole in there that allows coolant to get out when the water pump packing starts to go. It usually starts as you describe and then as it gets worse you will start to leave little puddles after you turn the hot engine off. Eventually it will fail completely. Once it cools down enough to touch reach under the water pump and feel back there with your fingers. If you still have that rubber bib splash guard under it your drips may be further back.

if automatic, check ATF- cooler in radiator may be faulty-- I haven't seen many transmissions that can handle multiple doses of antifreeze, but it's worth a look-see.

--Shorty

Re: Weep Hole Question !

Well this looks like it may be a good thread for my post. Not trying to hi-jack it, just thought it was similiar.
I just put in a new thermstat when I replaced my Housing gasket because it leaked. Well I thought I burped it and it was pushing small amounts of coolant throught the Water pump weep hole.Then I realized I hadn't burped it with the heater on. So I have reburped it with the heater on and now it seems to be holding and not seeping any more.
My question is if it pushed it past the seal in the waterpump does that mean it is getting ready to call it quits or is that pretty common when there is too much air in the system. That doesn't push coolant into the bearing does it where it'll corrode and ruin them.

Back