• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case question...

boostedvdub80239

NAXJA Forum User
The output shaft has broken off due to a lift and no slip yoke eliminator, Its not mine but thinking of buying it. The jeep will only move in 4L not 4H, is this normal or is there more wrong with the transfer case than meets the eye?

Not being able to move in 4 high is not a normal function of the T-case. Unless you have the know how to fix the T-case, I would say look else where or plan on paying someone $1500+ to fix it for you. Depending on what he's charging and if you get someone to help you fix it right, it could be a good deal, but as it is now you will have a good size repair bill. On the other hand, with out being able to drive it may hide some other problems you may face later.

Rob $.02

As an alternative, you could just assume the TC is toast and price out a used one, or, depending on where you live and what's out there, even a whole old XJ with a good one in it. In Vermont you could probably pick up a half-dead beater with a useable case for well under 500 bucks. I don't know what the junkyards get, but it would be worth asking.

Matthew Currie said:
As an alternative, you could just assume the TC is toast and price out a used one, or, depending on where you live and what's out there, even a whole old XJ with a good one in it. In Vermont you could probably pick up a half-dead beater with a useable case for well under 500 bucks. I don't know what the junkyards get, but it would be worth asking.
Yep always an option. Make sure you get the right spline count for the imput shaft for your application if you go that route. Not too hard to do it yourself, but can be expensive having a shop do it.

Rob $.02

cdhowell said:
I assume your buying the entire Jeep. Front axle is engaged and it will move, but a broke t-case is a good point to haggle price.

This is what i am hoping for I know I can get a t-case from the pull and save for under 100 bucks and then get the slip yoke eliminator ect to fix it correctly... the lady selling it swears her mechanic said the t-case is fine but I figured it should drive the front wheels in 4H the same as it does in 4L..

thanks guys i appreciate your input

boostedvdub80239 said:
The output shaft has broken off due to a lift and no slip yoke eliminator, Its not mine but thinking of buying it. The jeep will only move in 4L not 4H, is this normal or is there more wrong with the transfer case than meets the eye?

So the shift lever will go into 4H but it won't engage or what? :wierd:

boostedvdub80239 said:
This is what i am hoping for I know I can get a t-case from the pull and save for under 100 bucks and then get the slip yoke eliminator ect to fix it correctly... the lady selling it swears her mechanic said the t-case is fine but I figured it should drive the front wheels in 4H the same as it does in 4L..

thanks guys i appreciate your input

If it doesn't something is certainly not happening as it should.

Back