• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 help

ktilcu

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i'm trying to take apart a 231J and i can't seem to get the case to split... am i missing something? I took out the tail housing bolts and knocked that loose, i took out the bolts holding the retaining something or other on the input side and removed the two snap rings... inner and outer... and then took all the bolts holding front and rear halves together out and broke the seal... but now the chain is holding onto the front output and rear output so i cant pull the two halves apart. Do i need to take off the front yoke or or the rear hack n tap or what?

ktilcu said:
can i reuse the nut and washer and seal
Wouldn't count on it. Nut and washer, maybe...but seals and I don't get along when R+R'd.

Yucca-Man said:
Wouldn't count on it. Nut and washer, maybe...but seals and I don't get along when R+R'd.

Screw driver...pry bar...chisel...BFH....no wonder the seal won't go back in....

Justin

Replace the seal. It's a helluva lot easier when you have it all apart already. Thoroughly clean the recess that the new seal fits into removing all previous sealant. Remove any remaining oil with disk brake cleaner or something similar. Find a socket or something that fits just inside the outer diameter of the seal. Tap the seal in as evenly as possible. Keep tapping until the seal is fully seated in the bore. Usually you can tell it is seated when the hammer bounces and makes a much more metallic sound. Make sure there is some clean grease on the inside surface of the rubber part of the seal. Done this way it should give you no problems.

Back