• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What winch... and where?

I bought a Ramsey 8.5K a few years back and only gave $399 for it shipped. Now I see that Sam's Offroad has them for like $479 shipped to your door. Still not too bad of a price. I have used mine repeatedly and in conjunction with a snatch block, it has got me out every time, and just about everyone else that I had to pull out as well. I have had it packed full of mud and sand on multiple occassions and it still works great. Now as far as line speed, it is not going to win any races, but I am not a competition wheeler and it works great for me. My $.02

Harborfreight has their winches that are basically a mile marker or a ramsey, Ohly a little bit slower line speed but i'd go with one of those if I were to buy a new one because you can get a 10,000 lb. winch for $500. Mine's a Runva (most commonly known with Range Rovers) and it's just okay.

Milemarker can be had for that if you dont care about linespeed. I've save a few more $ and go with a warn m8000.

I picked up a T-max EW9000 this last winter, and am *beyond* impressed. Far outperforms the m8000 on my dads range rover in linespeed under load, and in how long it will pull before it heats up, and seems to use a little less power.

The new Smittybilt XRC8 winch's specs seem pretty good, and it's only $299.99. BTW, reelbigdundy87, the H.F.s are the same as the MileMarkers, not Ramseys.

Another vote for the Aussies (T-max). I have their competition version (9k with synth rope and wireless remote). If the wireless remote fails, just plug her in the old fashioned way. Tellico4x4 has a good price. I paid $705 shipped during a sale.

Wow, I think this is most quality feedback I've ever got on here!

Anyway, I like Warn quality and reputation.. and I think they have a lifetime warranty. I can get the M8000 shipped for $550.
Mile Markers are cheaper, and that always good. I think I saw an 8000 for like $350, 9500 for $450?? Are they junk?
I got a contact at T Max that told me he'll sell me a 9500 TMax with wireless set up for $525... I think I'm gonna go that route. I keep hearing good stuff about these Aussie weenches.

jmop said:
If you want to spend 500 or less I'd go with a used Warn. I got my 8274 for $350 and I've seen them for less.
Excellent advice! I bought my 8274 for $75 with a blown up brake assembly, no hook or fairlead, and a bad cable. I bought a new brake assembly from PORC for $100, and found a brand new cable, hook, and roller fairlead here on NAXJA for $85 from a member that was going to use synthetic rope with his brand new winch. So my total investment was $260 for one of the best, if not THE best winch ever made.

Last edited:
Back