• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Mode Doors - Having trouble selecting

JW 4x4

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ Classic

Just recently had my A/C serviced as it was inoperable, and while now it works and blows cold, when I move the selector knob from "off" to the upper level dash A/C mode (or any mode, for that matter), it takes a good 10 seconds for it to select the correct one. It eventually does get to the one I selected, but it is taking a good 10-20 seconds, and it always cycles thru the defrost vents first. What should I check, as I assume this is vacuum related? Would the canister inside the bumper be a good place to start? I also heard that many vacuum lines are routed under the battery tray, I will check there. Either way, I'm not 100% it is a vacuum leak. Any thoughts?

JW 4x4 said:
2001 XJ Classic

is vacuum related?

My guess is yes.

Would the canister inside the bumper be a good place to start?

Again, yes.

I also heard that many vacuum lines are routed under the battery tray, I will check there.

The vacuum lines are prolly your best bet for a leak in the system.

Either way, I'm not 100% it is a vacuum leak. Any thoughts?

Final thought is that the HVAC controls in dash are slightly FUBAR, not lining up when you move the selector.

Back