• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch problem??

ryan_earl

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy just bought a 93 xj 5 speed 4.0L, we think it hasa clutch issue but wanted some input before we spend the time and money to repair.

When shifting clutch pedel is close to floor, and engine revs up after going into gear, goes into gears fine just revs and kinda lags taking off almost like your in the wrong gear.We did a lilttle research and it sounds like the clutch is slipping and not engaging right away. also when trying to shift into reverse it grinds sounds awful, i know that a little grinding is normal but this worse than usual, i have a 88 manual so we have been trying to compare. but it seems like some days it feels fine and other days its really awfull, any ideas, i read the threads about the replacing master and slave, and to solve the slippage we need to replace the clutch also thought about topping it off with fluid just to start ruling things out but wanted to get some input before i jumped the gun and did anything... thanks for the help

Ryan

sounds like the clutch has gone. i have not had this happen to mine but with other cars thats the same prob. i have an 87 5 speed and i dont notice any grind into reverse but every trany is dif.

as far as replacing it you have a couple dif options.
1. stock-good but if you have a lift and tires it needs more power and it wont last as long.
2. aftermarket-not too much more money but much better holding power.

whatever you chose is up to you but if it was my money i would opt for the better.

i belive act makes one and they sell it at rustys offroad
there about 190 bones

stock 89 same problem

u might need a new hose that goes from the the tranny to the fluid i had a 89 and i had to change the hose cuv it would grind like crazy when i put it in reverse and a another thing before u put it in reverse put it in 1st then reverse and it would not grind on my 89 when i did that

Try going about 35-40 mph and shift into 5th gear. Then floor the throttle. If the engine revs faster than the car accelerates, that's a slipping clutch, and the friction components (disc, pressure plate) need to be replaced.

If shifting gears, or forward/reverse is an issue, that points towards hydraulics, although a slipping clutch can contribute to clashing, also.

Steve

Back