• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injection Service ?

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
At my dealership they perform a free Multi-Point Inspection every time it goes in. They give you a nice paper with items of caution. Since it is coming up on 60,000 miles I know that some things need to be done and most I will do myself, but one on the list I wanted some input on. This is what that paper states.

Inspected fuel injection system and found throttle body to be dirty. Recommended Action: Preform fuel injection service. Quote $199.00.

Is this service recommended and what is involved in it. I don't want to pay almost 200 bucks on them just putting a bottle of stuff in the gas tank. If anyone out there works for a Jeep dealership and has input on this that would be great.

I work in a dealership, they sell you a service basied on if your throtal body is dirty, they dump shit in your tank and use carb cleaner to clean your tb, if your lucky they will use some vacume shit to clean your valves.

peace
ted

Fuel additives really don't do much unless you run cheap gas.

Cleaning your throttle body is easy if you have a basic set of tools and a can of carb cleaner.

That $199 is a total rip off.

Don't pay that. They will either dump a bottle of cleaner in the tank or remove the injectors and run them through an injector cleaning machine. Either way you will be just fine if you just buy a can of Sea Foam from autozone and run it through your gas tank... really you will be much better off that way. You could also switch to Chevron Premium for a while, that'll get the injectors seriously clean.

2000XJSPORT said:
Since it is coming up on 60,000 miles...

It's not even run in yet ;)

Inspected fuel injection system and found throttle body to be dirty. Recommended Action: Preform fuel injection service. Quote $199.00.

You can do this yourself for around $8.

Is this service recommended and what is involved in it. I don't want to pay almost 200 bucks on them just putting a bottle of stuff in the gas tank. If anyone out there works for a Jeep dealership and has input on this that would be great.

Search the forums for Seafoam (also spelled 'Sea Foam' sometimes). Basically, you get a can of the stuff and use about a third of it to clean out the throttle body and intake manifold. Dump the rest into the fuel tank when full. It's basically the same service, and you can do it in about half-an-hour or so. The other threads talking about it go into more detail regarding the procedure, but it's not difficult by any means.

Better yet, get a bottle of BG44K, run through with 5-10 gallons of gas, and be happy. And tell the dealer where to go for suggesting $199.

60K? Wow. My jeep is quite new (at least for a 4.0) at 145K. I run a bottle of fuel SYSTEM (not just fuel injector) cleaner when I feel like it, like Sea Foam, Valvoline Synpower, or BG44K if I haven't done it in awhile, and my jeep has instantaneous throttle response with absolutely no hesitation or stuttering.

pauldo39 said:
And tell the dealer where to go for suggesting $199.

Yeah, no kidding. I'll admit that I take mine in to the dealer for oil changes simply because they keep sending me the $14.95 oil change & lube coupons - kinda hard to beat that deal. But they do the same n-point inspection every time, and I always have to point things out on it that are wrong to them.

"Gee, how did your guy know how much life was left in the rear brake shoes if he never removed the wheels let alone the drums?" I'm looking forward to the next trip in now that I've got the rear discs. At least they've learned that I do check the grease fittings before I take it away...

60K? Wow. My jeep is quite new (at least for a 4.0) at 145K. I run a bottle of fuel SYSTEM (not just fuel injector) cleaner when I feel like it, like Sea Foam, Valvoline Synpower, or BG44K if I haven't done it in awhile, and my jeep has instantaneous throttle response with absolutely no hesitation or stuttering.

Quick point here: fuel system (or injector, or whatever else it may be called) cleaners won't do anything for the intake - since the 4.0 is MPFI, the cleaner only makes it from the tank through the lines to the injectors, then into the cylinders and out the tailpipe. It'll never get the gunk in the throttle body and intake manifold unless poured / squirted in there.

I work at a dealer and if it the same service that we do, it does a really good job. When we do the service, it comes with a kit, it has BG44k to put into the fuel tank, BG throttle body cleaner that you spray out the TB with, and the main part of the service is to hook a pressurised can up to the shrader valve on the fuel rail, pull the fuel pump relay and basically let the engine run on the BG fuel injector cleaner until it is gone. We charge the same price, it is a little bit pricy but i think it is worth it.

casm said:
Yeah, no kidding. I'll admit that I take mine in to the dealer for oil changes simply because they keep sending me the $14.95 oil change & lube coupons - kinda hard to beat that deal. But they do the same n-point inspection every time, and I always have to point things out on it that are wrong to them.

"Gee, how did your guy know how much life was left in the rear brake shoes if he never removed the wheels let alone the drums?" I'm looking forward to the next trip in now that I've got the rear discs. At least they've learned that I do check the grease fittings before I take it away...

Quick point here: fuel system (or injector, or whatever else it may be called) cleaners won't do anything for the intake - since the 4.0 is MPFI, the cleaner only makes it from the tank through the lines to the injectors, then into the cylinders and out the tailpipe. It'll never get the gunk in the throttle body and intake manifold unless poured / squirted in there.

Ayuh - because the 4.0L intake is (and has always been) "dry." No fuel - so no fuel system cleaner makes it upstream in the intake past the injectors.

Even if you have to, dismounting the throttle body and cleaning it isn't technically difficult. I've done RENIX throttle bodies - dismount, disassemble, clean, reassemble, remount, and adjust - in about an hour.

5-90 said:
Even if you have to, dismounting the throttle body and cleaning it isn't technically difficult. I've done RENIX throttle bodies - dismount, disassemble, clean, reassemble, remount, and adjust - in about an hour.

Yup, seconded, and the same applies for later XJs. Each is procedurally slightly different, but not a nightmare in any case. I'll admit to being more familiar with the runout models, but from what I've seen on a '96, '93 (IIRC), and an '89, things didn't change all that much over the years in this regard.

Last edited:
casm said:
Yup, seconded, and the same applies for later XJs. Each is procedurally slightly different, but not a nightmare in any case. I'll admit to being more familiar with the runout models, but from what I've seen on a '96, '93 (IIRC), and an '89, things didn't change all that much over the years in this regard.

Nah. The sensors themselves might have changed, but installation and adjustment procedures have remained pretty static.

"There are monkey boys in the facility. Do not be alarmed. You are secure."

5-90 said:
Nah. The sensors themselves might have changed, but installation and adjustment procedures have remained pretty static.

Understood. I really haven't worked on the cross-referencing aspect at all, so just going on general observations. Point taken, esp. in light of Swappology.

"There are monkey boys in the facility. Do not be alarmed. You are secure."

"He copped a Maserati Bora, but crashed it ten blocks later."

We use the BG3 part fuel induction cleaner at my work too. It does wonders on alot of the vw's that have rough idles and slight hesistation on takeoffs. It smells horrid though when your running it through the system.

Now on my xj with 203k on it I am not to sure if I would use it. But clean out your tb yourself and a can of bg44k in the tank, like posted above. It makes a difference. I like to used valvoline throttle body cleaner. Ive had better luck with that over carb cleaner.

as mentioned once above, if it is what some of us call "top engine cleaning", then it is worth it. they actually use a pressurized can of cleaner to run the engine on and disable the fuel pump. i've seen those cleaners work some real nice mirracles. but i've also seen and done many "fuel injector cleanings" where all they do is dump a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank.

if you want, you can ask them specifically which one they're doing and that you would like them to show you how it works. if it is the "top engine cleaning", then it's good. but at 60,000 i don't know if i would worry about it. get some seafoam and use that every couple months on a tank full of gas and you'll safe tons of money.

casm said:

You're right, I should have mentioned this point. But in my experience with my XJ that has 145K, I can recall actually pouring SeaFoam through the TB and manifold maybe once or twice. I run the fuel system cleaner maybe every 10-15K, and like I said my engine fuel system is in impeccable shape. I really don't think you need that service, especially at 60K.

casm said:
Understood. I really haven't worked on the cross-referencing aspect at all, so just going on general observations. Point taken, esp. in light of Swappology.

"He copped a Maserati Bora, but crashed it ten blocks later."

"Bora, hm?"

"Where are we going?"
"Planet Ten!"
"When?"
"Real soon!"

casm said:

Sounds good. I will try the Sea Foam cleaner out. I have herd it makes smoke come out of the exhaust. Is it supposed to do that and is it bad? I do not want to mess up my engine.
Thanks

Alex

5-90 said:
"Bora, hm?"

"Where are we going?"
"Planet Ten!"
"When?"
"Real soon!"

"What's that watermelon doing there?"
"I'll tell you later."

2000XJSPORT said:
Sounds good. I will try the Sea Foam cleaner out. I have herd it makes smoke come out of the exhaust. Is it supposed to do that and is it bad? I do not want to mess up my engine.

The smoke is perfectly normal and won't harm anything - it's basically just blowing out the carbon buildup. Just be ready for clouds of it, particularly if this is the first time the intake's been cleaned and/or you live in a dusty area.

casm said:
"What's that watermelon doing there?"
"I'll tell you later."

The smoke is perfectly normal and won't harm anything - it's basically just blowing out the carbon buildup. Just be ready for clouds of it, particularly if this is the first time the intake's been cleaned and/or you live in a dusty area.

If you think your engine is crapped up too badly, you may want to disconnect the catalytic converter before you run a cleaner, and then reconnect it after the smoke clears. There should be a four-bolt flange (it's on earlier ones...) just forward of the converter - get a new gasket, and open it up there. Be sure to separate the two pipes so you don't get carbon (that's what you're cleaning out) blown into the converter - the carbon coats the converter matrix, and you could end up replacing the damn thing...

"Bigbooty. More power to him."
(sotto voce)"Bigbootay"

5-90 said:
If you think your engine is crapped up too badly, you may want to disconnect the catalytic converter before you run a cleaner, and then reconnect it after the smoke clears. There should be a four-bolt flange (it's on earlier ones...) just forward of the converter - get a new gasket, and open it up there. Be sure to separate the two pipes so you don't get carbon (that's what you're cleaning out) blown into the converter - the carbon coats the converter matrix, and you could end up replacing the damn thing...

Haven't had a problem doing this with mine - yet. Makes sense, though.

BTW: the later models had both the pre-cats as well as the regular cat. I can't remember if the pre-cats unbolt or not (I'm leaning towards 'yes', but am too lazy to go downstairs and check), but the regular cat is welded in - or, at least, it has been on both my 2001 and 2000. Either way, unbolting the downpipe ahead of the pre-cat should be good enough.

"Bigbooty. More power to him."
(sotto voce)"Bigbootay"

"Declaration of War - the short form."

Back