• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Coolers

I have read the stacked plate type work better than the tube and fin type. The two links you have show rather thick coolers. I measure 1.25 inches between the back of the grill and the AC condenser on my 96 Xj.

I though my 89 measured just under 2" but yes that would change things abit. B&M has one similar to the linked version but at 0.75" thick instead.

So you've got hot tranny's?

Move this puppy to the den!
:D

Hale

Anything will be better than nothing at all. I think either of those would be fine. I would think the larger the capacity, the better it would be. I know NAPA has a kit for @ $30 that works great. Deminsions are roughly 10"x6"x1". That's just a guess on the size but, it's close to that.

Hale

Haleyes said:
Anything will be better than nothing at all. I think either of those would be fine. I would think the larger the capacity, the better it would be. I know NAPA has a kit for @ $30 that works great. Deminsions are roughly 10"x6"x1". That's just a guess on the size but, it's close to that.

Hale

Yeah, but since I'm going to be doing it once I might as well get the biggest cooler I can(afford).

Weasel said:
Yeah, but since I'm going to be doing it once I might as well get the biggest cooler I can(afford).

They've got alot bigger ones. That's just what I went with.

Hale

look around at the junkyard, lotsa sizes for lots less $$$$
Ford seemed to like putting coolers on their rides, or full size trucks, atleast thats what I have noticed around here.

i got one off a 99' up super duty. it's almost as big as the radiator. with just a little modification of the stock brackets, it bolted right up. cured the downshift (into 1st) problem when climbing long steep trails on a hot day.

I've got a Perma-Cool 771-1012 18K GVW on my 97. I'm running Stock 3.55 gears with 31" tire. Trans Temp shows 190-220 on hot days after running down the highway. It takes it a while to get up there. I am going to be using my XJ to haul a trailer from Wisconsin to Oklahoma and back (over a 1000 miles each way) in a few weeks. Would it hurt to run a second cooler? Should I put a thermostat on the second cooler? Since I'm going to be logging a lot of highway miles should I put a Torque Converter Lock-up switch on there?

Cooler
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_747379_-1_10535

Thermo
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_748655_-1_10535

I prefer the hayden style cooler. I got the biggest one in stock and it lets me mount a 12" flex fan to it. My trans probably never sees over 200º on the trail. I did the same for my power steering, I run a small trans cooler and mounted a pair of 6" computer fans. My power steering stays cool to the touch as well.

I've looked at the Hayden style coolers. However I was thinking of going with something like this.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRM-201

Hayden makes a model that very similar to the one summit has. It's pretty much the perfect size and thick. Also looks like fluid should flow no problem.

Question is when mount the inlet/outlet are both on the top. Should the outlet be on the lower corner similar to a radiator?

Also the inlet/outlet will have to have a reducer to fit the 3/8" or -6 hose. Is this going to be any issue or should one look at making the tranny lines bigger?

Back