• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

travel trailer towing.

Garden Spyder

NAXJA Forum User
My wife and I are considering a 3,500 lb travel trailer which we will likely use twice/year due to busy work schedule. we will pull it about 200 miles round trip
I have searched the forums, but I don't find the specifics I am looking for.

I have a 93 4.0L 3:27 gears 31 inch tires, 3 inch lift, and manual tranny 4x4 with the Corporate 8.25 rear end with a locker and new brakes

The owners manual says 5000 lbs with the auto tranny, but mine is manual, so there are not specifics on it.

Advice?

load your trailer, water,cloths, etc, then take it down to the scales.. don't trust the print on the trailer... My motorhome says 34 thou # an my friends is a 40' at the same... but i think your close to the limit in your jeep... my guess

I think it would be advisable to gear down before buying a trailer like that. Maybe 3:73-4:10. The two biggest limiting factors are the brakes and the auto tranny. Since you are manual, you only need to worry about the brakes. I would do the 96-up booster and master cyl mod and get some performance rotors and carbon metallic pads. Also you can buy an extra set of brake shoes and put all the longer shoes on.

regear and you should be ok

Working with what you are telling me, you are thinking that i am too high geared if I am reading you correctly.
Just so happens that I was sold another set of rims and tires to fit on the xj, but someone talked me out of the tires. So now I have the option of putting a lower profile tire on these rims, If I went with a 205/75/15 light truck tire verses the 31's during towing, it would give me the same effect as regearing, and beefing up my brakes(trailer also has trailer brakes)
Would this be an alternative?

Re-gear, re-brake, and save up for a better clutch.

Garden Spyder said:
Working with what you are telling me, you are thinking that i am too high geared if I am reading you correctly.
Just so happens that I was sold another set of rims and tires to fit on the xj, but someone talked me out of the tires. So now I have the option of putting a lower profile tire on these rims, If I went with a 205/75/15 light truck tire verses the 31's during towing, it would give me the same effect as regearing, and beefing up my brakes(trailer also has trailer brakes)
Would this be an alternative?
That would help. I don't know if it's enough though.

I just hope he doesn't get hit by high winds, like we get out here in palm springs on the fwy.. I have seen big pick-ups blown around hauling 20' trailers, i think he is pushing the limit of the jeep myself..

Back