• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock in rear when accelerating from a stop.

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
There is this annoying knock in the rear axle when i accelerate from a stop. It doesnt happen ALL the time, but quite often. I have felt no loss of torque or any other problems with the rear axle... I had this problem with my older 95 XJ before I sold it and never found out the problem.

I also have a tapping noise coming from right under where the 4 wheel drive shift handle is. It only starts while idleing, but goes away when i push the shifter forward (the shifter seems to wiggle its way up towards being in 4 low)

just a background on the jeep and what I have done to it that may lead to this problem

2 inch BB from Rough Country
30X9.5X15 BFG All Terrain Tires

The lift has been on for over a year and have had no problems thus far...

any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated! IM NEW HERE!:helpme:

My money's on a bone dry slip yoke that's binding and in need of some grease.

1. You need to grease thy Slip Yoke, or puchase an SYE from the shop over yonder

2. You need to replace thy Transfercase Linkage Bushings. Jeep makes a kit for $40 (theres a Technical Service Bulletin), but I prefer to just pack the linkage in heavy grease once in a while, as this works great for about two months, then the tapping comes back somewhat, and you can just grease it more.

Check your e-brake cable. After I finished putting in a 4 inch BDS lift in the back to replace sagging Rock Krawler Springs. At first I thought it was the tailpip hitting the shackles. But when I crawled under, I could see that it was the right e-brake cable hitting the muffler. Like yours, it didn't rattle all the time, and was most noticeable at idle. If that is the problem, you need to do the Wrangler e-brake cable mod. (I'm in the middle of that project now.)

the acceleration clunk along with a tapping below the x-case handle makes it sound like a tranny mount to me.

After I installed my lift, I had similar issues. The plate that the U bolts go through on the right rear had loosened up a bit after a few thousand miles.

It could also be excessive back lash between the ring and pinion.

Back