• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main seal yes i searched

slingblade

NAXJA Forum User
alright to start its an 88 4.0 i understand the process because i've read 10 or 15 posts already anyway the question is how do you know which type of seal you need with out dropping the oil pan the double lip or offset lip? thanks in advance

slingblade

The "double lip" and "offset lip" seals are to correct a greater condition than a worn seal - you'll probably be fine with the standard job.

If grit gets under the sealing lip, it's possible that the seal will then wear a groove into the crankshaft sealing surface - and the new seal won't make contact with the ground surface. Thus, the "double lip" and "offset lip" seals - both are intended to have the sealing lip contact a different area on the crankshaft.

Either one should work neatly for a replacement - and I doubt you would need either (unless you're spending a lot of time in dusty environs...) As long as you've kept your engine and engine bay clean, the problem you're probably having is simple wear - which will be solved by a "regular" rear main seal.

Be warned...

Jon...do you remember when I did the rear main and I used the part number I found somewhere on here that was supposed to be for the double lip seal? When I compared it to the stock seal it was exactly the same. I don't know if that part number has been corrected. I meant to pursue it but got sidetracked. Like he said, you'll probably be fine with the stock seal.

Back