• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ to 96 gastank interchange

warwagon98xj

NAXJA Forum User
will a plastic tank out 0f 97 work on a 96? im asumming sending units are different, the story is my sisters 96 is leaking and i have a 97 i bought for the tranny i was just wondering if i could put plastic in where steel came out of. out wardly they seem the same same locations for sending unit, filler vent. if anyone knows please let me know.

-tia

warwagon98xj said:
will a plastic tank out 0f 97 work on a 96? im asumming sending units are different, the story is my sisters 96 is leaking and i have a 97 i bought for the tranny i was just wondering if i could put plastic in where steel came out of. out wardly they seem the same same locations for sending unit, filler vent. if anyone knows please let me know.

-tia
I believe yes it will, the whole pump assembly is different and in a different location but I'm about to put a 99 tank into my 90. I have them side by side and they look physically the same. I know the strap location is identical too. Hope it helps.
-Collin

Fit will be the same but connectors and fuel line fittings are different.

JEFF said:
Fit will be the same but connectors and fuel line fittings are different.

will the 96 sender fit in a 97 tank is more my question they look the same to me as far as location goes. anyone have any thoughts on this?

warwagon98xj said:
will the 96 sender fit in a 97 tank is more my question they look the same to me as far as location goes. anyone have any thoughts on this?
Well, the sender is part of the pump isn't it? If so the plastic tanks have them in a completely different location.

Back