• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case shifter says im in 2H, why is my front drive shaft spinning?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Mods:

4.0HO with AW4 automatic transmission
* NP-231 transfercase with Advance Adapters SYE modification'
* Non vacuum disconnect HP30 front from 89 XJ
* 3.5" Rubicon Express SuperRide lift kit

I let the GF take the Jeep to the store, when she was pulling in I noticed my front driveshaft spinning. I told her to back up. Yep it was spinning all right. Then I took it for a test drive. after a few hard turns and tires skipping at low speed I am most def. in 4Hi. when the shifter says im in 2Hi. Whats going on?

Think about your non-disco HP30 and what that means.

If the wheels are turning, the axles are turning, the carrier is turning and rotating the ring gear, which is in turn rotating the pinion and driveshaft.

What postion is the t-case shift lever, horizontal or at a 45*?

Your front drive shaft will spin whether your are in 2wd or 4wd. 4wd is engaged through the t-case.

So are you sure that you are in 4wd?

^Front end shakes and wheels woble while doing a circle at like 3mph.

Im fairly sure I was in 4wd. The shifter is totally horizontal. I even took off the plastic molding to make sure it was totally in 2Hi.

Jack it up and put it on stands and put it in drive.
Shifter may need to be adjusted.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Jack it up and put it on stands and put it in drive.
Shifter may need to be adjusted.

x2

Front driveshaft will always spin no matter what your shifter says cause the hubs are always spinning the axle shafts. :moon:

Plays For Jeeps said:
Mods:

4.0HO with AW4 automatic transmission
* NP-231 transfercase with Advance Adapters SYE modification'
* Non vacuum disconnect HP30 front from 89 XJ
* 3.5" Rubicon Express SuperRide lift kit

I let the GF take the Jeep to the store, when she was pulling in I noticed my front driveshaft spinning. I told her to back up. Yep it was spinning all right. Then I took it for a test drive. after a few hard turns and tires skipping at low speed I am most def. in 4Hi. when the shifter says im in 2Hi. Whats going on?

are you sure it is a non-disco? you said "from 89 XJ"....and I have never seen a stock non-disco pre 91.

yup you are driving the front shafts through the wheels,not the t/case, kinda blows if you take out a front axle u joint cause eveything still turns.carry the appropriate tools 13mm 12 point, brake caliper hex bit,etc and you'll be fine.
just leave the outer shaft with the broken ujoint in, and yes it'll happen!

Back