• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on chosing lifts

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on a lift for my XJ...it's down to either the 3" OME or the 3.5 RE. I know alot of you guys have run the RE, and there are a few who have run the OME. Basically, what should I go with. I know that if I go RE there is the potential for more driveline problems and possibly the need for driveline upgrades. I'm going to be running 31's so re-gearing wont be neccesary. Price wise, they are pretty close although the RE is a more complete kit.

Please just chime in with what you would do, keeping in mind, I wont go higher than whatever lift I go with. It's mostly a DD but I do some trail riding, no mudding or rock crawling, just some sort of challenging trails. Let me know what you'd do in my situation.

Thanks

I run the RE 3.5 and have 0 driveline issues. I also run 31" tires and I rock crawl, mud and it is my DD. Personaly I would go RE.

My $.02

buy a complete kit. order it all an wait for it, then do your lift an don't cut corners.. Make sure you can adjust your front upper an lower arms..

I'm not planning on cutting corners, I would be purchasing a complete kit, either the 3" OME or the RE full rear pack kit. I just dont want to run into death wobble or other issues that are usually more tied to RE than to OME. How would you compare the quality of kit of RE and OME? I know the OME shocks are better, but with RE you seem to get more components (control arms, t-case drop, disco's). People have told me that if I'm spending that much money I might as well get the Old Man Emu lift. I'm tired of changing my mind from one to the other, I just want to be lifted!!!!

i would go with R E... i have a 6.5 lift on mine, so i can't help to much..Just make sure you have the adjustable upper an lower, that way you can get the wobble out if you get it,..... good luck an enjoy

So vibes are usually solved by adjusting upper and lower control arms? I can't seem to get a good description of the kits on their website. Which kit part # (6025,6030) has the adjustable control arms, or is that an option to the kits?

Personally, I would go with OME. Couldn't be happier with their springs and now, I just got their shocks on. You can build a hybrid kit - i.e., get some JKS adjustable control arms and swaybar disconnects, TNT track bar, YJ brake lines...don't get stuck buying something just because you get "everything together".

Vibes can be caused by anything....trackbar, tie rod ends, bad shocks, ball joints....having adjustable control arms will let you adjust your caster and your front axle pinion angle.

What year is your XJ? Reason I ask is the year can determine what kind of driveline vibes you MIGHT get....yes, I know, every XJ is different...but post 97 models have a longer slip yoke on the TC, leading to more noticable driveline vibes at smaller lift heights.

If its mostly a DD, then you will be MUCH happier with the on road ride of the OME springs and shocks....

Back