• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GC

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah Yeah i know i need to post up on the GC forum but i already tried and they're hosting software is ucked up right now... Help if you can or dont mind. I'm an xj guy so i have no idea about this GC. My girlfriends GC wont shift back out of 4wd once it is used. If its anything like a NP231 I figure the lil spring that pushes the lever back to 2WD is worn out... Just a thought... any help would be appreciated.

The lever goes back to 2wd but the axle doesn't disengage? Or the lever won't move back to 2wd?

Doesn't the GC have the 242 full time t/c?

More than likely misadjusted. My moms was doing that, and seemed to not want to hit Part Time. Put the lever in 2X4, and crawl under the Jeep. There you will see the linkage for everything loosen the bolt (13mm IIRC), and slide the adjustment toward the rear. Take it for a test drive to check that it still fully engages into low range. You might have to move the adjuster forward a little bit at a time to get it set just right so everything engages where it's supposed to.

I remember something about a 1/4in.(iirc) shim behind lever when all the way in 4lo tighten then shift into 2hi should be golden

lowrange2 said:

Only certain models/years.

ALOT got the NP 249, Quadra-Crap T-case.

Swapping in a 242 is a popular mod to rid yourself of the viscous coupler in the 249 which has a habit of breaking to the tune of about $800 or so to get it replaced.

It's got an NP242 in it. Unless they thought it would be funny to put an NP242 Tag on a NP249. That would be my luck. I think Jeep is out to get me! Ugh...

Try going into 2WD, Reversing about 10 feet, then putting it into drive.

OK, I have to ask, your in SC, is someone wheeling their GF's stock ZJ/WJ ?:D

RyanM said:
Try going into 2WD, Reversing about 10 feet, then putting it into drive.

OK, I have to ask, your in SC, is someone wheeling their GF's stock ZJ/WJ ?:D

No, lol, I've got a 93 with about 7 inchs and 33s... not much, just for the woods- no rocks(South Carolina) But my girl wanted a jeep too so she bought the GC.

lowrange2 said:
No, lol, I've got a 93 with about 7 inchs and 33s... not much, just for the woods- no rocks(South Carolina) But my girl wanted a jeep too so she bought the GC.
What do you mean no rocks.......I was in rocks just outside of Wahalla. It was fun in a CJ a couple years ago. Have they flattened the NW S.C. mountains in that short amount of time?

w_howey said:
Only certain models/years.

ALOT got the NP 249, Quadra-Crap T-case.

Swapping in a 242 is a popular mod to rid yourself of the viscous coupler in the 249 which has a habit of breaking to the tune of about $800 or so to get it replaced.
I've only found the 249 behind the v8's. I have heard though a few came 5.2ltr 242, and also in 2x4 flavor. I have never seen either though. Hell up untill this morning I had never seen a 2x XJ in person. It was even a 5 speed. and two door.

mikeforte said:
What do you mean no rocks.......I was in rocks just outside of Wahalla. It was fun in a CJ a couple years ago. Have they flattened the NW S.C. mountains in that short amount of time?

LOL Yeah there are still mtns there. There isn't anything near where i live. I live an hour and a half from the mountains and i don't get much time to get up there. There is the Gulches of Laurens just a few miles up the road but i've felt like my rig isn't burley enough to take it out there. So when i get everything lined up and all the tweaks out of the lift I'm headed out there. Whats in walhalla?

Back