• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help - XJ Wouldn't Start, but...

zeke2230

NAXJA Forum User
ALL:

2000 XJ, 4.0, 151K. Was stuck in a parking lot for 30 minutes. Got the annoying beep when I put the key in, turned to 2nd position and NO System lights on Dash - hence, no Start. Did that for 30 minutes and then started, but wanted to die immediately. Feathered it home. Only other thing I noticed was that the radio clock reset to 12:00.

Thoughts? I have got to get this corrected immediately. Currently out of state and helping family move stuff - Got a Uhaul ready to go, but afraid of everything dying mid trip.

Thanks

S

Check your battery cables first, the running rough might be from the ECU resetting, they do that as they relearn. Might also want to get under the dash and look for any loose connections, easier if you take the knee/kick panel off under the steering wheel. Way down on the left there is a big connector box, it's where the bulkhead connector comes in thru the firewall, check to see if thats tight. I had my 98 from new for about 6 months or so and mine was loose. Only noticed it because I was putting in the fog light kit and thats where I ran the wire out...
How old is the battery ?

zeke2230 said:
Thanks - I'll check.

Battery is less than 18 months old.

Is it a good one or a cheap one ? check the levels in it too if it is one that can be checked, use only distilled water if cells are low. I run optima reds in all our jeeps, so far they have been solid performers.

Back