• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

two peice front drive shaft

stevej21

NAXJA Forum User
i am installing a box 4 rocks kit and new crossmember, and now i have to run a two peice front drive shaft. i was hoping to get some input or pics from guys that have done this to point me in the right direction.

thanks

stevej21 said:
i am installing a box 4 rocks kit and new crossmember, and now i have to run a two peice front drive shaft. i was hoping to get some input or pics from guys that have done this to point me in the right direction.

thanks

Dumb question - but why do you "have to" run a two-piece driveshaft? I've not seen that kit, so it's a valid question...

And, the OEM front driveshaft for an XJ is not actually "two-piece" - it's one piece with a slip yoke and a Double Cardan joint on one end. "Two-piece" driveshafts are like the ones you see under bobtail trucks - they have a joint and a pillow block/support bearing in the middle. The third joint is in the middle of the shaft, and not at the end.

Anyhow, running a two-piece shaft would suddenly require a rigid central support for the "drive end" of the shaft (the one fastened to the transfer case) so you don't have it flopping around in the middle, which is why I'm wondering why you need to run one. You'll end up losing articulation from the shorter effective shaft you're going to end up using.

with the added length of the crawler box, a standard drive shaft will hit the crossmember when the driver side drops out. i am sure there is no kit, it would have to be made.

I'm runing the 231/300 box for rocks kit. You do not need a 2 pcs front drive shaft. I am using a stock front drive shaft that has been lenghtened 6". I also used a stock front drive shaft for the rear that was shortened 3". Do you plan to use 2 np231s or the 231/300. What x-member are you using?

Back