• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Problem with Skyjacker Shocks!!!

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I installed new Skyjacker Hydro 7000's on my 1992 XJ Cherokee Laredo. Anxious to try them out started driving and over the course of the next week was dissapointed to find out that over every little bump on the road my shocks would compress then come back to their original position and then stop failing to travel above their sitting position causing a banging noise to echo through the car. I was wondering if there is a break in period on new shocks? Or if this is normal for performance shocks? It gets fairly annoying! I had my brother and I lift up on the rear of my jeep and the shocks are capable of traveling well above the normal position. So i have the right size for my lift.

Some specs on my vehicle: 2 inch lift in front with stock shocks (worn out). 3 inch blocks in the rear with worn out leaf springs and the new Skyjackers. Stock tires.

Also what brand and how much for ceramic brake pads? (thats going to be my next mod) Thanks alot!!!

I have a buddy who had a ranger with skyjacker lift and shocks. His did the same thing when we flipped them over they worked fine....However you can't really do that on the front of an XJ....I personally think they are just crappy shocks (skyjacker shocks in general).

it sounds to me like they are loose. Or there is some rubber mounting missing some where.
I have the 8000's rough ride, yes, but no banging noise...

How long have you had your lift? If you installed it at the same time as your new shocks, I'm betting it's not the shocks. Three-inch blocks and worn leaves don't give the most luxurious ride.

Back