• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YOUR OPINION: Building the perfect 6" lift

jbmoose

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for opinions as to what would the perfect 6" lift be. Not a kit, but any component from any manufacturer (Skyjacker, TNT, Clayton, Superlift, ProComp, Full Traction, Old Man Emu, Bilstein, Rubicon Express, JKS, etc.) that you could piece together to build the perfect lift. I like the Skycrapper 6" because of it's mid-arm subframe assembly, but their shocks flat out suck, and their leaf springs have a tendency to flatten out. Not thrilled about heim joints either (reliability is #1 factor). If price were not a factor, what components from what manufacturer would you guys use? It has to be highway driveable, and things such as SYE, Tom Wood's shaft, JKS adjustable track bar, Sway bar disco's, and extended SS brake lines are a given. So basically: What UCA, LCA, front coils, shocks, full packs (not AAL), etc.? Thanks for your time and input.

TNT Y-link + stiffeners, Rusty's 6.5" front coils, Rusty's 4.5" rear leaf pack and 1.5" extended shackle, Bilstein 51xx shocks. Relocate the front brake hardline mounts and use YJ front brake hoses. I would also consider one of the steering upgrade packages, either the Tera knuckle or the U-turn conversion.

Advanced Adapters SYE, Tom Woods CV ds, TNT trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, Bilstien 5150s or OME for smoother ride. Atlas II Tcase, Cutting Brakes, Aussie Locker up front, Anything but ARB in the rear. Before i get a bunch of shit about ARB he said RELIABILITY IS THE #1 FACTOR. Keep it simple stupid. Dana 60 Up front 14 bolt in the rear. Boomarang shackles or u bolt eliminators..

lancey3 said:
Advanced Adapters SYE, Tom Woods CV ds, TNT trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, Bilstien 5150s or OME for smoother ride. Atlas II Tcase, Cutting Brakes, Aussie Locker up front, Anything but ARB in the rear. Before i get a bunch of shit about ARB he said RELIABILITY IS THE #1 FACTOR. Keep it simple stupid. Dana 60 Up front 14 bolt in the rear. Boomarang shackles or u bolt eliminators..

Aussie locker up front, but a Dana 60 as well?

C'mon, at least recommend products that exist. :laugh3:

vetteboy said:
lancey3 said:
Aussie locker up front, but a Dana 60 as well?

C'mon, at least recommend products that exist. :laugh3:

Hey now... you happen to see that Harry Potter thread? He's in a magical land. :shhh:

Anyway, I'd have to agree with vetteboy's original post here. If your not looking to do some serious one off work, that be pretty close to the best you can do for a reasonable amount of cash.

very very magical

He said the perfect, and just because Aussie hasn't realeased it doesn't negate the fact that it would be the epitome of locking perfection. xD In fact i think its supposed to come out this year!

Last edited:
Going to want some long arms thrown in there along with a sye. I'd go with the OME shocks. With 6" of lift, it'd look best with a good fender trimming and some 35's. Not too much backspacing on the wheels though. As for the lockers that's your preference. Axles I'd definetly run at least a dana 44 front and rear, stronger depending on what you'd want to do with it. I'd say either 4.88 or higher gears. Get some high clearance skid plates. So JKS quick disconnects. Remove the rear swaybar. Add some revolver shackles. I can't advice on which lift to get. I know my rusty's 6.5" is like by most that have used it. I personally haven't had a chance to ride with it yet. Sorry that's kind of scatter brained and a little general. Alot of stuff depends on what you'll be using it for. Dune riding? Rock Crawling? Mall Crawling?

Deaver 4.5" spring packs and 1.5" shackles with poly bushings. A 3 link longarm front with centered wishbone. Hyd assist steering and otk alumiflex tie rod. Big brakes with six piston calipers.

As far as recommending a specific spring pack, advertised lift and supplier, doesn't vehicle weight enter into the choice? Example, what spring rate does Rusty's advertise, verses RE? Will my 4200lbs XJ, with after market rear bumper+33" spare, gas can, and high-lift set the same with Rusty's as RE? Where will the 3200LBS stock XJ set?

jeeperjohn said:
Deaver 4.5" spring packs and 1.5" shackles with poly bushings. A 3 link longarm front with centered wishbone. Hyd assist steering and otk alumiflex tie rod. Big brakes with six piston calipers.
I thought with a wishbone 3 link, you had to go with full hydro?

And why would you put a custom suspension on the D30? Seems like a waste of time and money.

Yeah, there's no need at all for a wishbone and it'll only create problems.

A 3-link and panhard would be ideal, but the TNT Y-link thing is probably the best of the alternatives.

Starboard M said:
I thought with a wishbone 3 link, you had to go with full hydro?

And why would you put a custom suspension on the D30? Seems like a waste of time and money.
I don't really know that much about the wishbone setup, I just think it is a good idea from an engineering standpoint. I don't see why you would have to go full hydro. The D30 is a perfectly good axle for most people with the alloy shafts. Changing to a different axle would be alot of work with just about any axle.

Back