• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to go BIGGER

adamsbigbadxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok. This is only my second post on this site, so feel free to tell me to research or whatever else. First, I just bought an '84 XJ pioneer. 20000 miles on a 2.5L I4 4 speed manual. I was told it had a Rusty's 3" lift with a full leaf pack in the rearend. What I'm looking for is another 2-2.5 inches without having to buy another lift for it. Also, what are some common, garden variety things I could do at home on a limited budget to make it a bit more capable? You all obviously know what you're doing....ANY help would be much appreciated. I mainly will be sticking to "light" mud and mountain trails.....

I'd throw on some spacers to get another inch, then trim the fenders. why be higher than you have to?

2 of the 4 trails I know of are old log roads and have 8-10" stumps straight up the middle. it's easier to drive over them than avoid them, and as she sits, i clear by about 1/8"; so, don't really "need" bigger I suppose. Mostly just looking for minor mods I can do to make it a little better on the trails. I'd rather be the tower than the towee i guess. And it's a semi-DD, so I can't really go to extremes

diddo...rustys makes spacers and shackles that will work great...but...remember about your driveshaft angles...you may need a sye. i would do a 1 inch spacer with a 1 inch shackle...go to 33's and cut the fenders...i have 4 inches w/ 33s and they fit..im going mabe another inch but im taking my time because i will need a sye...welcome to the page...im new myself...to the page that is...not so new to jeepin

V8 Swap

why worry about clearing them under the vehicle. why not just put your tire on the stump and drive over it that way if it's in the middle of the trail.

3" lift is more than plenty for a "little stump" like that. when i had a 3" lift on my cherokee, i ran a trail that up until then nobody with less than 4" and 33's had run before. the rocks in the course are bigger than 33" tires and i ran the course with 3" lift and 31's.

adamsbigbadxj said:
2 of the 4 trails I know of are old log roads and have 8-10" stumps straight up the middle. it's easier to drive over them than avoid them, and as she sits, i clear by about 1/8"; so, don't really "need" bigger I suppose. Mostly just looking for minor mods I can do to make it a little better on the trails. I'd rather be the tower than the towee i guess. And it's a semi-DD, so I can't really go to extremes
The only way to clear your axles over obstacles is to crawl over them or fit bigger tires.....tires being the only way to increase clearance between the ground and the axle.

Taller is not better if you don't use a system approach.

I would trim and run 31"/32" tires and then prepare for going bigger by determining final tire size, preparing for a gearing change, possibly an axle change and all the other parts your present lift probably doesn't have.

You probably already have 4.10 gears in it so add the bigger tire and call it good and flex your way over the stumps. It's not hard.

e87420ba.jpg

Back