• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I am driving down the highway and thump thump

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
This happens......
2506357_35_full.jpg

The tread flopped off about 3/4 of the way around the tire. My other 3 were perfectly fine. This one had a little dry rot on it and that is why this happened.

So now the question... I have a line on some 33x12.5" tires and am wondering what other upgrades I might need to do or worry about within a year or so. I am buying a house and can't afford anything really.

Specs: 4.5" lift, Will trim as needed. d30, chryco 8.25" 29 spline 3.55 gearing. Aw4 tranny cooler installed np242

Nothing a little shoe-goo can't fix! :thumbup:

Any signs of dry rot and the tires have become unsafe. The lastest on tire construction is that the compound beings degrading after approximately 5 years and become unsafe. This is what was happening with a lot of the Firestone tires along with being under inflated. I had a Dick Cepek come apart like with once and ripped the rear quarter panel apart.

ya that ish sucked. tire marks all over my rear quarter. they were not retreads. I have never even seen a hightech retread do this before. I am going to have to drive around with 3.55s and the 33s for a t least a year until I finish school

people say driving on 33's on 3.55's is sooo bad.

well guess what? I do it on 307's. Sure, i get 12 mpg, and my clutch is lovin me, but i can live with that until i can afford to regear. I just dont use 5th gear anymore

thanks bud I want people that do it to answer I drove on them the other day and it wasnt that bad aside from rubbing because I haven't trimmed anything. powerwise and stuff I wasnt bad

93_xj said:
people say driving on 33's on 3.55's is sooo bad.
Only because of the issues you bring up next:

93_xj said:
well guess what? I do it on 307's. Sure, i get 12 mpg, and my clutch is lovin me, but i can live with that until i can afford to regear. I just dont use 5th gear anymore
Fried clutch, crappy mileage, and inability to use all the gears. Your 3.07 is because of the 5-speed; when we gripe about the 3.55s and 33s, it's on an automatic.

Is burning up a clutch or frying a tranny really worth the inconvenience of running stock gears with tall tires? !!!1

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Well like i said my only issue is I have no money until next year and these 33s are basically free and I am in between a rock and a hard place here.

Yucca-Man said:
Only because of the issues you bring up next:

Fried clutch, crappy mileage, and inability to use all the gears. Your 3.07 is because of the 5-speed; when we gripe about the 3.55s and 33s, it's on an automatic.

Is burning up a clutch or frying a tranny really worth the inconvenience of running stock gears with tall tires? !!!1

Jim www.yuccaman.com

yes its worth it. I part out jeeps so parts are not a problem for me. Trannys are a dime a dozen. I could get an ax15 for 100 bucks any day of the week if i wanted. I also get an owners discount at Napa so a clutch that would be 240 dollars will only cost me 150.

The only drawback to 307s is the 12mpg i am getting. But hey, its a jeep. IF i wanted 40 mpg i wouldnt be driving a jeep.

I will be regearing this summer and locking both axles, but for now, I am just fine with my setup.

i drove on 32's with 3.07's for 6 years! i never had any problems, except at 222k, my puegot tranny started whining so i swapped in an ax15. i actually didn't do too bad on mileage either. i'm now pretty happy with my 4.10's but my point is that i made it to 222k with my original clutch, gears, and tranny, and i abuse mine pretty hard. when i swapped, my clutch still looked pretty good, too!

i drove on 32's with 3.07's for 6 years! i never had any problems, except at 222k, my puegot tranny started whining so i swapped in an ax15. i actually didn't do too bad on mileage either. i'm now pretty happy with my 4.10's but my point is that i made it to 222k with my original clutch, gears, and tranny, and i abuse mine pretty hard. when i swapped, my clutch still looked pretty good, too!

and you brought this thread back to life WHY?

Back