• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np231 to 242 swap questions

RedneckIn_Progress

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a tranny with a 242 attached and the jeep had a np231 in it but its toast. So is there anything that i should look out for while putting the 242 in? Like wiring or linkage issues? Do i need anything extra?

Thanks,
RedneckIn_Progress

What year? Early 231's had a vacuum switch (for the front axle disco actuator,) and no 242 had that. If you've got a disco front axle, you'll either need to "lock" the actuator to an engaged position, or install a cable-actuated version (which can be made from the old actuator - searching here should tell you what you'd need to know.)

If you have a later model (say, 1991 and up,) the front acle vacuum disconnect was deleted, and you should have no trouble.

Either way, you'll probably have to add wiring to get the "full time" indicator in the dashboard to work, since there are two "mode" switches in the 242 (4PT and 4FT,) but how important is that to you?

5-90

I have an 88. Yea i dont care about the light. My cousin is doing the cable thing on his ranger(which he installed a dana 30 into). So we are gonna do that to mine also. thanks for the Info. I also did search and didnt manage to find anything that helped me.

Thanks,
RedneckIn_Progress

I have a 21 spline 231 available. Has an AA SYE installed too.

Back