• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5" BS too much?

OBXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had a birthday recently and my faince got a hold of the build list for my XJ. With the best intentions, she got me 5 wheels for my rig that were listed on my build list but I did not have the BS defined on the list. Well, it turns out that she got 5 16x8 Cragar Soft 8's w/ 5" BS.

My question is this... I'm looking at 4.5" RE lift OR 6.5" Rustys and either 33" or 35" BFG Mud terrains. Will these wheels pose any significant problems with either of those lift/tire combinations? Any advice is appreciated! thanks!

Last edited:
Man, I just typed a whole response and hit the wrong key, lost it all. Well here it is again.

It depends on how wide a tire you are planning to run and if you can live with a slight reduction in turning radius.
I ran 32x11 and 33x10.5 tires on 4.75 BS rims on a 4.5 inch lift. The tires stuffed well in the fender wells. That was before I cut anything so it had stock flares too.
5" BS and 11 wide tires should work okay, you may have to adjust the turn stops to keep the rubber from hitting the lower control arms.

a 12.5 tire though will cost too much turning radius. IMO.

I'll be running 12.5" tires. Anything I can do to minimize the loss in turning radius? One thing to note is that this rig is going to be used primarily for trips to the beach so it wont see much if any in the way of rock climbing. How about 1" wheel spacers to kick the wheels out a little? Are they unsafe?

Replace the rims or add spacers. But for the cost of spacers you could have new rims.
Or try to exchange the rims if you havent mounted any rubber on them.

http://www.tqci.net/~scot/xjindex/daffyxj.jpg

heres a pic of Daffy when it was a grocery getter with the 32x11's on 4.75 BS AR-767's

For 12.5 wide I'd run 4.5 BS. Just note the rubber will be outside the flares if that's an issue in your state.

Back