• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed from castrol to mobil,motor ticks?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
About 450 miles ago I did an oil change and used mobil clean 5000 oil because it was only $10 a gallon at wally world.For the last 10years I've been running castrol gtx and never had a problem untill I switched to the clean 5000.My top end is noticeably louder and seems like oil pressure is different also.

Anyone else notice this while running mobil clean 5000 or am I nuckin futs??

Lifter tap isn't that big a deal, and people often report that synth makes the tap a little more audible. If you really hate it try switching to Delo or Rotella 15-40.

Its not synthetic.Its extended drain conventional....
I think I'm going back to castrol gtx....switching brands was a big decision for me and I dont like the results.Think I'll add some lucas aswell....

I have theory about this. I have noticed a number of people who switch oils noticed lifter tick noises after the change. I suspect the oil change resulting in loosening some varnish or sludge that then lodged in the lifter area causing the lifters to stick, causing the ticking sound.

I would start out replacing some of the Mobil oil with a quart of Lucas and maybe a pint of MMO and just run it for a while. Mine has 248,000 miles on the odo, (not sure how much work has been done on the engine, as I bought it at 224,000 miles), but it developed a load tick/knock at around 230,000 miles. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles with MMO and Lucas as additives, and the last oil change I used Castrol Syntech (another long story of massive oil leaks), replaced the lost oil with Lucas, MMO, and some straight 50 WT Exxon dyno oil while replacing the oil filter adapter orings, and upgrading to the large oil filter. Long story short, the last 2 months of the summer here, the ticking/knocking is nearly gone, like 90% reduction in the sound level of the noise.

I think the Syntech completed what the MMO started cleanup wise of years of oil / engine abuse and finally unstuck everything. I still use Lucas and 20W50 oil, but I think the synthetic mix and MMO did a gentle cleaning of the engine with out overwhelming the oil filter or oil pump screen.

Some posted earlier this week taking the rapid approach with a quart of ATF for like 500 miles, then he drained and replaced the oil & filter and the very load tick was gone. It worked for him, but can be risky if there is a lot of sludge built up over the years in the engine from running dyno oils too long.

scorpio_vette said:
peanut butter will muffle noises better something with a lower free flowing viscosity. if that makes sense to you.

I hear jelly goes well with it!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

scorpio_vette said:
peanut butter will muffle noises better something with a lower free flowing viscosity. if that makes sense to you.

Ok I did how you said and dumped in a jar of jiff and the noise is still there....maybe I'll try peter pan???

Last edited:
Ecomike said:
I have theory about this. I have noticed a number of people who switch oils noticed lifter tick noises after the change. I suspect the oil change resulting in loosening some varnish or sludge that then lodged in the lifter area causing the lifters to stick, causing the ticking sound.
As an Auto tech, this is something I have noticed on customer cars that get oil changes at Jiffy Lube...castrol, quaker state, and pennzoil suck IMHO. They all have very low detergent levels and leave LOTS of varnish in the motors. Switching to a better oil generally breaks that crap loose and can cause problems.

I would stay with the Mobil and add either some lucas or Marvel oil.

I ran alot of Seafoam Through mine the first oil change after I bought it. Then I noticed that my oil pressure dropped about five clicks at idle and 10 at WOT.
After about 3 oil changes with Valvoline SynBlend I dumped out my oil container and noticed the last bit of it was like a grainy sludge. But my oil pressure was back up.

Back