• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 brakes on D35

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
ive heard of a D35 that someone put the 10 inch D44 drum brakes on it. after he outfitted it with a locker and 456's in it. does anybody know if the d44 rear 10 inch drums wil lfit the D35. i dont really want to do the rear disc conversion, i would just like a little extra stopping power, especially if i lift he Jeep, any help would be great.

:scared:

Why upgrade crap, it will just be crap with bigger brakes. Get a Ford 8.8 from a 95-99 Explorer, it will come with disc brakes and be just as strong or stronger than the D44, not to mention dirt cheap.

I don't think you need a D44 to find the big drums, I think you just need to find an early axle. I think about 89 and older would all have the big drums. Not that it makes them a good axle, but the early D35s also don't use c-clips, they have bearings pressed on the axleshafts and retainers just like the D44.

C-Clip or not its still a weak axle.

cwstnsko said:
I don't think you need a D44 to find the big drums, I think you just need to find an early axle. I think about 89 and older would all have the big drums. Not that it makes them a good axle, but the early D35s also don't use c-clips, they have bearings pressed on the axleshafts and retainers just like the D44.

Nah, the D44's drums are the same diameter as the early D35's, but are almost an inch wider. I noticed a whole lot of an improvement when I swapped my D44 in place of the old '35.

i dont have a d44 axle and i dont want to change in a ford axle, im a Jeep enthusiast, but when i bought new drums and shoes from autozone for my other Cherokee they asked me if i wanted 9 or 10" drums. i dont take my Jeeps offroad at all so the d35 works perfect for me.

jk333 said:
i dont have a d44 axle and i dont want to change in a ford axle, im a Jeep enthusiast, but when i bought new drums and shoes from autozone for my other Cherokee they asked me if i wanted 9 or 10" drums. i dont take my Jeeps offroad at all so the d35 works perfect for me.
that would be because of the diff between the 8.25 and d35, d44 drums are expensive new since they are kinda hard to come buy

jk333 said:
i dont take my Jeeps offroad at all so the d35 works perfect for me.

:twak:

Why bother upgrading anything then?

MongoXJ said:
Why bother upgrading anything then?

Because XJ rear brakes tend to suck. When they work they're fine, but most of the time they're either marginal or next-to-useless, and worse than that if you're towing or carrying a lot of cargo. Particularly if the vehicle is more than three or four years old (meaning: all of them) and the hardware hasn't been looked after properly when the shoes are changed.

Look into a rear disc conversion. I will admit that I'm a disc brake bigot, but having lived with various drum-braked vehicles over the years that required way more maintenance on the drums than their stopping power warranted, the disc upgrade makes a lot of sense and will yield much better stopping power than a 9" to 10" drum conversion.

Back