• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'd like to strangle whoever at goodyear

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
thought that the gatorback belt was long enough for an xj. i cant get my power steering pump lined up enough to get the top bolt in.

this belt is way too short, i've had this problem with gatorbacks before on an s10, only reason i got it was my jeep shit out its belt and was left sitting at a gas station and it was the only one vato-zone had.

dont buy a gatorback belt, its too short. (Read on! -Ed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
IslanderOffRoad said:
thought that the gatorback belt was long enough for an xj. i cant get my power steering pump lined up enough to get the top bolt in.

this belt is way too short, i've had this problem with gatorbacks before on an s10, only reason i got it was my jeep shit out its belt and was left sitting at a gas station and it was the only one vato-zone had.

dont buy a gatorback belt, its too short.

Don't see a problem - I've run several Gatorbacks on several XJ's without any trouble. While I prefer Gates, Goodyear is usually easier to find.

Either your belt was mis-sleeved somewhere along the line, or the guy at Vatozone just didn't know which one to grab. Don't suppose you may have checked to see if the number on the belt matched the number on the sleeve?

Didn't check, I was in a rush as I was trying to not get the Jeep towed from the gas station I limped it to. Had to walk home, get my Honda and then drive there to fix it.

The alternator on my rig is adjustable as well.

old_man said:
The alternator on my rig is adjustable as well.

i'm aware of that. i also know i'd have to be a 5 year old stretch armstrong to get to those bolts without taking out the battery, fan, shroud, etc.

I just had the same problem with the gatorback over at checker. The reason it was too short for me was it was too wide. It didnt fit all the way into the grooves on the pully. I went back and got one of the regular goodyear belts and all was good.

I just replaced an old GY Gatorback with a Gates a month or two ago. I was going to buy the same GY belt again, but made a large purchase from one vendor that gave me a good price on the Gates.

When I went online to GY website it referenced a partnumber that was different from the one I had. Can't remember what the difference was, but one might have been 96" long and the other 94.5" long. I have no idea how GY's website spec'd one belt and I ended up with another at some point. Might have been due to the price. The belt I had was much cheaper than the one GY gave the part number for. Something like $25 for what I had and $45 for what they said I should have with about an inch or so difference in length. Crazy.

Either way the belt I had fit and the new one from Gates worked as well.

After I calmed down and looked at the packaging, the belt does not list the Jeep 4.0 as one of its applications.

So now the question is what kind of fight am I in to return it?

5-90 said:
Depends. Did you get it dirty? Do you still have the receipt?

I have the reciept. It is dirty. I was able to rig it to get the jeep home, less than a mile as I needed it out of the parking lot before it got towed.

scorpio_vette said:
well it is your fault for not verifying the belt first, but i would just take it back and tell them that they gave you the wrong belt instead of what you asked for.

sigh... its unfortunate that i have to do my job and theirs as well.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I have the reciept. It is dirty. I was able to rig it to get the jeep home, less than a mile as I needed it out of the parking lot before it got towed.

Do you still have the wrap thing? If so, just fold it up in the package with your receipt and take it back. If they call you on it being dirty tell them it got that way trying to get it on.

Back