• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about buying axles

nikkosean

NAXJA Forum User
i am about to buy a new set of axles but i just want to make sure that they are going to work. the new ones are off of an '85 and i have a '92. i think that it should be alright because the new ones are a dana 30 and 35, and mine are stock so i am assuming they are the same. the new ratio is 3.73, i'm not sure about mine but i think they are the same. any advice?

you need to make sure you identify your rear axle first. because if you have a chry 8.25, then the D35 will actually be a downgrade.

also 3.73 will most likely be an upgrade for you, since the more common gear is 3.55.

why are you getting new axles??? what's wrong with yours, or what are you trying to achieve???

Yeah I am very curious what you are "uprgading" from. I don't think I would ever intentionaly stick a D35 in the rear, and seems like you should already have a D30 upfront?

Pics - http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html
Identify your current rear axle first. If it's a C8.25, then the D35 is definitely a downgrade.

As a '92, your front axle is non-disconnect, but the '85 will almost certainly be a vacuum-disconnect axle. You need to address that with your transfer-case as well; the easiest fix would be to block off the opening for the vacuum motor and use your '92 inner axleshaft instead of the two-piece.

Edited to add - Ugh. I forgot that the '85 probably also has CV joint axleshafts. What about this axle makes it an upgrade?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Last edited:
i am not trying to upgrade so much as replace what i've got. i am trying to fix a noisy rear end problem and this way is cheaper than having it rebuilt. so it sounds like it would be easier to try and find something closer to the same year, wrather than messing with the front end so much. what year did they stop using the vacum-disconnect and start using the non-disconnect? any other solutions?

Back