• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear pattern check please

shmoken875

NAXJA Forum User
Lemme know what you think, as long as its ok I'm ok with it, doesnt have to be perfect cause the only tool I'm working with is a micrometer, no dial indicator or anything. Gimme some tips or opinions if yo got them. Thanks.
Drive side:
DSC00644.jpg

coast:
DSC00643.jpg

It doesn't even look to me like the gears are getting close enough to each other. Usually a gear pattern will look this:

li-7.jpg

You can see where the teeth are rubbing the marking compound off in the middle of each tooth....

Somethings wrong on yours.......

r-dog, hold the ring gear with your hand and rotate the pinion in the direction of foward, then hold the pinion and rotate in the direction of coast, it'll give you better results. also, paint the ring gear heavily with the marker, from the base of the tooth twards the tip so its perpendicular to the direction the gears mesh in. post up after that. if you dont think you got it, i can help you when you get it down here!

You can't tell anything from these patterns, without first setting backlash. You MUST set the backlash before you can pull a pattern that means anything. I was in Harbour Freight about 2 weeks ago and they had dial indicators on sale for $8 and change. While you are there, pick up a magnetic base for the indicator. If you can afford the gears, spend the money on the basic tools. Otherwise, you may likely end up buying another set of gears!

You need to clean all the compound off the ring gear and paint only 4-5 teeth in two spots across from each other. Turn the ring gear by hand while applying resistance to the pinion gear. Go over the painted spots on the ring gear about 4 times each in both directions. First you need to make sure the backlash is in the ballpark as mentioned before.

jeeperjohn said:
You need to clean all the compound off the ring gear and paint only 4-5 teeth in two spots across from each other. Turn the ring gear by hand while applying resistance to the pinion gear.
What he said. I'd suggest clreaning off all of the marking compound with brake parts cleaner, add a light coat of oil to the bearings only and re-check the pattern. I find a shop towel wrapped around the pinion yolk ( twisted and held tightly) offers the right amount of resistance to give you a good pattern to read.

alright so I finally caved and got the dial indicator, I had the backlash perfect at .008, so I tried again and coated the piss out of the teeth and put a good bit of drag on the ring gear and got this: looks like the pinion might be a bit too far away.
DSC00660.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

Last edited:
good choice on the dial indicator. what is your pinion preload

Last edited:
shmoken875 said:
15 inch lbs, so yall think its worth it to tear the whole thing down and throw another .0025 or so behind the pinion or no?
yes. I got a good pattern using .002 increments

You're nuts to pull it, it's good just like it is. You stand the chance of going too far if you add more, it'll work fine as is.

shmoken875 said:
15 inch lbs, so yall think its worth it to tear the whole thing down and throw another .0025 or so behind the pinion or no?
You need to go deeper on the pinion. Time spent now getting the right pattern will be no time spent later replacing broken or worn parts. With diffs "good enough" is not.

Back