• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

someone help...

98xj_87

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj 4wd I6 a while back it would randomly have a rough idle. Eventually the check engine light came on and i went to auto zone and got the code checked and it said that it was the tps. code p123. well i didnt replace it right away and i started to have worse problems. i could be driving and everything would be fine and all of a sudden throttle response and power just dropped off really fast. It did not shut off just a sudden drop in power and after hitting the gas a few times it would finally regain power but only to do it again 5 or 10 min later. so i replaced the tps and found that the wires from the connector that goes to the tps had kind of fused/melted together so as i tried to pull them apart and separate them i noticed that two of them were touching.

So i separated them the rest of the way to the splice that leads to the transmission control module and re-taped them as best that i could unil i can solder and heatshrink tube them. this fixed the problem somewhat but now it will rev up to 4500 before it will shift up and sometimes it will have the same power drop right as it hits the next gear, and it will run sloppy for a second and then regain power until i start speeding up and it approaches the next gear and then does the same thing. someone please help me. i am at wyotech right now and have studied and restudied the wiring diagrams and searched on the internet and asked instructors. I am going to talk to one of them on monday and see if he will help me outside of class. I would be able to work on it in class but we are not in that phase yet and its a liability issue. Anyone that has any knowledge of this i would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
have you tried unplugging the TCU?? usually located under the knee board in the cabin......unplug that, and you will need to shift the Jeep manually. see if you still lose power and the like. Also.....re-check the TPS harnesses, and check voltages. I believe you should be seeing .83 volts out of the TPS...

Its also possible that the TPS is still bad, as well. Or out of adjustment.
If it is acting up, can you go WOT and the problem go away? Most obd2 sensors are ignored at WOT, not sure about the TPS though.

Back