• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj-runs like crap after hot soak

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 xj 4.0 runs like crap after a hot soak, even just a short one. Runs great until I shut it off for a few minutes, when I restart it its as if two or three cylinders are dead. The only way to make it go away it to rev it beyond the miss and hold it there about 3k rpm for 10-20 seconds then she runs good again. It is so embaressing to have a mean lookin xj sounding like a v twin every time I stop and shutr the engine off. I have replaced injectors, plugs, fuel filter ,pump,wire,cap/rotor. anyone else seen or heard this?

what's wrong with a V-twin?? 92 H-D is secondary mode of transport!

I would look at the IAC as probable solution or fuel pressure leaking down and the remaining fuel boiling in the rail until it cools down a little.

--Shorty

The iac is the only thing I didn't try. I think it may be screwed,if I go downhill in low gear the rpm goes up and down about 200 rpm like someones turning a switch on and off, tried a second distributor. would a coil do this? I noticed yesterday when I finished a gnarly 6km mountain climb in 4 lo , the washer fluid bottle was to hot to touch. well I'll try the iac and maybe heat tape on the bottom of the fuel rail

Back