• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anti seize

Racr12

NAXJA Forum User
kind of a stupid question, but i've had no luck finding anti seize anywhere. where do you guys buy it? not online, in stores.

i bought mine at I beleive Advanced Auto Parts. It should be in most parts stores I believe. If no luck there try hardware stores

I get it at NAPA. I also saw some little tubes of it at Autozone, don't know if they have it in larger sizes.

NAPA & AZ have it in tubes but a big can with a brush was sourced from Graingers.

Most parts houses, some hardware stores, and any MRO shop should have the stuff.

If you use never-seez on screw threads, don't forget to reduce installation torque by half - unless the manual specifically requires the use of never-seez for that specification. There are also several types - the regular "silver" stuff has a nickel/aluminum base, and there is also a copper-base that I use regularly (for high heat.)

5-90 said:
...the regular "silver" stuff has a nickel/aluminum base, and there is also a copper-base that I use regularly (for high heat.)

But "high heat" is relative. The silver's good to like 250* isn't it?

I'll check for sure tomorrow...

Robert

Ha! I knew it was hot, but the can of nickel grade in my garage says it's good to 1600*F. Yes, one THOUSAND, six hundred degrees.

Sorry, Jon, but if your rig's running hotter than that, you've got bigger problems than your antiseize. :)

Robert

Robert 771 said:
Ha! I knew it was hot, but the can of nickel grade in my garage says it's good to 1600*F. Yes, one THOUSAND, six hundred degrees.

Sorry, Jon, but if your rig's running hotter than that, you've got bigger problems than your antiseize. :)

Robert

Yeah, I know. I think the copper is rated up around 2200-2500, and I prefer to use it for front ends and anything anywhere near disc brakes - works better.

Probably as much personal preference as anything else - I just prefer to have as much room to play around as I can get.

I purchased a soda can sized container with an almost useful brush at O'Reilly's. It was about 10 bucks or so, and it lasts a LONG time. I think I have had the same can about 4 or 5 years.

You can use assembly lube in a pinch. Antisieze is molly like assembly lube.

5-90 said:
Yeah, I know. I think the copper is rated up around 2200-2500, and I prefer to use it for front ends and anything anywhere near disc brakes - works better.

Probably as much personal preference as anything else - I just prefer to have as much room to play around as I can get.

We use nickle anti seize on all our aircraft. If your brakes are getting any hotter than a turbine engine then you've got problems. I've always said if it's good enough for aviation it's good enough for my truck. Can't just pull a helo to the side of the trail when it breaks down. Also we were using Mastinox and CA1000 which are antiseize products for use on the shanks of bolts. We've just replaced them with another product but I can't remember the name of it. It looks like peanut butter almost and isn't a carcinogenic which is nice. I remember we used to have an old work truck that had a 390 that would overheat. We would monitor the heat by shooting an infared thermometer through a hole in the floor board. I'm pretty sure the hottest it ever got was right over 1000.

coastie124 said:
We use nickle anti seize on all our aircraft. If your brakes are getting any hotter than a turbine engine then you've got problems. I've always said if it's good enough for aviation it's good enough for my truck. Can't just pull a helo to the side of the trail when it breaks down. Also we were using Mastinox and CA1000 which are antiseize products for use on the shanks of bolts. We've just replaced them with another product but I can't remember the name of it. It looks like peanut butter almost and isn't a carcinogenic which is nice. I remember we used to have an old work truck that had a 390 that would overheat. We would monitor the heat by shooting an infared thermometer through a hole in the floor board. I'm pretty sure the hottest it ever got was right over 1000.
The peanut butter stuff might be lubraplate. I don't really like the stuff after 15 years of cleaning and lubing the bifilars on a Uh-60.

coastie124 said:

Yeah, I know - if it gets that hot, I've got bigger problems. It's probably one of those funny little habits I'd picked up from my granddad somewhere along the line. Since it hasn't caused me any trouble, I've seen no reason to stop doing it...

5-90 said:
Yeah, I know - if it gets that hot, I've got bigger problems. It's probably one of those funny little habits I'd picked up from my granddad somewhere along the line. Since it hasn't caused me any trouble, I've seen no reason to stop doing it...
Continental aircraft engines call for a copper based antiseize called C-5A. It works quite well on the turbocharged engines.

jeeperjohn said:
The peanut butter stuff might be lubraplate. I don't really like the stuff after 15 years of cleaning and lubing the bifilars on a Uh-60.

Just looked at it. It's called "Cor-Ban 27L" it's a corrosion inhibiting compound. We use lubraplate everywhere. Even pack bearings with it.

Back