• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

07 Rubicon 44 boltin XJ?

steveareno

NAXJA Forum User
According to this months JP mag. the 07 Rubicon front D44 is high pinion, differing from previous. Does anybody know if the 07 will bolt into the XJ - LCA, UPA and spring buckets.
Jeepsareus has brand new front 07 44 complete axles, with 4.10 gears, locker and discs for $1400.
Why would this not be a great upgrade and deal?

The bolt pattern is 5x5.5 vs. 5 x4.5, and I *think* they reworked a lot of things on the 07s vs. the TJs, which would be bolt in.

if you are asking about the new JK then no, but a TJ yes. They changed the upper and lower control arm location on the new JK so they will not be a bolt in.

They are also about 5" wider!

Not to mention it's not even a real D44. There really isn't an aftermarket for them yet since the ring gear, axleshafts, bearings, pinion, everything is bigger.

check out JK forum for more information regarding this axle. That is a pretty good price for a nice axle.

RyleyF said:
Not to mention it's not even a real D44. There really isn't an aftermarket for them yet since the ring gear, axleshafts, bearings, pinion, everything is bigger.

Except for alloys, 4.56's, 4.88's .. what else do you need?

TellicoReadyXJ said:
The bolt pattern is 5x5.5 vs. 5 x4.5, and I *think* they reworked a lot of things on the 07s vs. the TJs, which would be bolt in.

The lug pattern is 5 on 5.....same as the commander, grand cherokee. They are wider not sure how much, I think it was already stated. It is a real 44 in fact it's better than the older design, the pinion is bigger and it gets 32 spline axle shafts.

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
It is a real 44 in fact it's better than the older design, the pinion is bigger and it gets 32 spline axle shafts.

Its a real dana 44, but it doesnt use a dana 44 carrier, ring, pinion, or shafts.. Whats 44 about it?

At the JK rollout event in Rubicon Springs last year, the engineers who worked on the project reffered to it as a "dana 47", and said that it was branded 'dana 44' only because "thats part of what makes a rubicon".

Archdukeferdinand said:
Isn't there the issue of rear springs also?

I thought the rubicon was coil all around...

That's easy enough to change, just cut the mounts and weld on perches.....or setup a rear 4 link.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
That's easy enough to change, just cut the mounts and weld on perches.....or setup a rear 4 link.

Sure enough.

But the question was about the axle being a straight bolt-in.

As I re-read the OP, this was specifically about a front so I guess its a moot point.

Archdukeferdinand said:
But the question was about the axle being a straight bolt-in.

As I re-read the OP, this was specifically about a front so I guess its a moot point.

Well, like you said, it was about a straight bolt in front. But since it has an "odd" width and lug pattern, you might as well swap the rear too.....

I wouldn't think it would hurt to have the info here to actually make the swap possible. They will likely be under the new Jeeps for a while, so there should be a lot of aftermarket for them in the future!

I dont know if I would use the rear when you could get a 9" for less than $1400 with the 5x5.5 lug pattern. the front axle is actually a dana 47, according to the JK guys.

Ben H said:
I dont know if I would use the rear when you could get a 9" for less than $1400 with the 5x5.5 lug pattern. the front axle is actually a dana 47, according to the JK guys.

I'd take a 9" first as well, but the JK is 5X5, not 5X5.5

The D47, may end up being a good comprimise between a 44 and a 60???

well that sucks. not much point in having 5x5 on anything its not much better than 5x4.5.

Back