• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake shoe question.

Garden Spyder

NAXJA Forum User
Question...

I bought new brake shoes for the rear of the eep from O'reilly's and brought the drums in to have them measure them to see if they are still within tolerance. They said that they were just at, but they said if they turn them, then that would make them throw aways. I borrowed their tool for measuring to see for myself due to when I was watching the guy measure it, he was going diagonally, and I wanted to measure it straight across. I hesitate to say that he was just doing it a little sloppy(in my opinion) which would gain different results, that would have been ok, just not to my standards. I have a Corporate 8.25 in the back and when I had them look them up, they just showed ones for a dana 35 9" or 10". when I compared side by side, the new brakes had the same metal frame and measurements, just alot thicker pad on it. When I installed them, the shoes drag but not enough I couldn't get them on... up on jack stands, I can idle it into 5th gear, get the wheels turning a good clip, push in on the clutch, and the wheels stop rather quickly without applying the brakes and after a very short while the drums are warm, I have the adjustment adjusted all the way in and took all of the tension off of the emergency brake cable.
What now?
Is it likely that they got me the wrong pads? I bought the lifetime warrantied ones, maybe they just have alot thicker pads? Should I take the drums and have them turn them until the pads fit?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

o'reilly's??? never heard of that parts store. sounds like a cookie factory or something.

1) if you're still using your old drums AND have the adjusters turned all the way in, there should be alot of spaces before contact and you should have to tighten the adjuster a bit. so something is wrong. either wrong shoes, or maybe you put the 2 big shoes on one side and the 2 small shoes on the other side. that would cause some space issues on the side that you put the 2 big shoes.

2) don't be cheap. if you had to measure the drum to see if it's still good, then it's time to get new ones. (but that's just my opinion)

I think the 8.25 takes the 9 inch pads. Make sure you have the smaller pad in the front on both sides.

I don't use O'reilly's. I purchassed a faulty thermostat from them for a Supra, which propmtly failed and blew my headgasket. After pushing the issue for long enough they agreed the thermostat was faulty and their solution was to offer a free thermostat. I was going to purchase a whole new engine from them and they would not even give me their employee's discount. If a parts store will not stand behind their parts I won't purchase anything from them. Remember most parts stores will match prices, so you don't have to go to the place with the best price.

Back