• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED BRAKE HELP!!!!!!

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just finisished the required brake work for my 86XJ to pass inspection,(rear wheel cylinders, front rotors, front brake hoses) Wverything is back together and no leaks.I then bled brakes! But I still have no pedal pressure and brakes barely stop you. Anything I can check or might have missed? Also when the pedal is applied there is a hissing sound coming from pedal is ther a piston by the pedal wich could be bad? PLEASE HELP!!!

If you have power brakes, you could be listening to the vacuum booster. Since you changed a lot of stuff, you may simply still have air trapped in the lines.

What exactly was wrong with your brakes before?

jcwxj said:
I just finisished the required brake work for my 86XJ to pass inspection,(rear wheel cylinders, front rotors, front brake hoses) Wverything is back together and no leaks.I then bled brakes! But I still have no pedal pressure and brakes barely stop you. Anything I can check or might have missed? Also when the pedal is applied there is a hissing sound coming from pedal is ther a piston by the pedal wich could be bad? PLEASE HELP!!!

You didn't get air in the master cylinder I hope.
A problem I've had repeatedly is the rear brakes not being adjusted to the point that they drag on the rear wheels.
That can mess up the pedal.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if the master cylinder sucks air it cannot be bled on the Jeep because of the mounting angle. The front side might hide a bubble.

HI
sounds like master cylinder at fault! check fluid, take cap off pump breaks if your getting bubbles / froth, seals need replacing...........just a thought....good luck

A hissing sound when you push the pedal down is likely a leaking booster. If it was about to fail, but you had a firmer pedal before doing the work, it might well have failed when the pedal sank lower and hit a new spot. You may also have air in the master cylinder and need to do a more thorough bleed. It's also possible, if the whole system is old, that the master cylinder has now gone bad. These things often occur together, when parts are disturbed, or moved into positions they're not used to. I'd start with making sure that the rear brakes are adjusted properly, then a very thorough bleed of the master cylinder (if it went dry during the work, you may even need to bench disconnect the lines at the MC and bench bleed it first), to see if you can get the pedal height up. If you can get a firm pedal, then you need to address the possible vacuum leak in the booster. If you just can't get a firm pedal, or if the pedal sinks under steady pressure, look to the master cylinder, but if you just did a bunch of work, you should double check adjustment and bleeding first before suspecting the MC.

Back