• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you remove D30 rollpin holding the crosspin?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
How do you remove the rollpin holding in the spider gear cross shaft on a Dana 30 stock carrier? I'm trying to switch my spider gears from my 3.55 carrier to a 4.10 carrier I just got. Can I just punch it through or is there another way? I tried punching it through but haven't got anywhere yet.

Thanks

you're on the right track just punch it thru its a pain in the ass, make sure the punch is as close as you can get to the size of the pin, if its any smaller it just goes inside the pin and pushes it harder against the outside walls of the hole.

good luck.
-mike

GrimmJeeper said:
you're on the right track just punch it thru its a pain in the ass, make sure the punch is as close as you can get to the size of the pin, if its any smaller it just goes inside the pin and pushes it harder against the outside walls of the hole.

good luck.
-mike
Yup, that's how I removed the spiders from that carrier (glad to see you got it). Just be sure not to flare the end of the roll pin... it'll only make life 10x worse. Take your time with a small brass punch (if you've got one) and hammer and it should come out in a matter of less than 2 minutes. Don't go hog wild on it with a 5lb sledge or you'll have a very hard time.

If I had known you were gonna just replace them with your spiders... I could've just left them in for you... oh well.

No problem, I had you pull them to save on shipping. I've been using a 3lb sledge and it's already a little deformed, oh well, back to trying to hammer it out. Where does it come out? Behind the spider gears but still inside the carrier? I can't see the other side. TIA.

The pin only comes out in one direction. Make sure you are tapping it the right way. From behind the ring gear inwards (if that makes sense).

Also, you do not need to drive the pin all the way out! In fact, it will be easier on you if you leave it in the bore, and just drive it enough to clear the crosspin (don't ask how I know...)

Select your punch carefully - use a "roll pin" punch that's just a shade smaller than the pin bore. A "roll pin" punch has a small dimple in the centre of the driving face that allows it to centre in the pin and drive it evenly. I can find roll pin punches at the hardware store here, so they shouldn't be too difficult for you.

yep make a tool like this......... and remove both caps.

e972c490.jpg

tool in on this side.

e972c4ab.jpg

pin out on this side

e972c60f.jpg

very easy.

I figured it out right after my last post, once I decided to take the ring gear off the carrier ;) :duh:. Thanks for all the help, it was easy as stated above.

Roll pins should not be reused. (but I have) It is general recommenced to replace them when removed. They are cheap and not hard to find. I use harden pins my self.
Mark the gear to carrier. Shifting the gear on the carrier can change the runout. General not a problem but it's always best to put things back just as you found them.

Last edited:
Rollpins should not be reused. (but I have) It is general recommenced to replace them when removed. They are cheap and not hard to find. I use harden pins myself. Soroy about the repost!

Back