• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

goin from 4.5 to 6 inches

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
i hav a rustys 4.5 inch spring pack kit and im lookin to increase it to around a 5.5 or 6 inch lift just to clear the tires a little better.

what are the best options for spacers and shackles?

i looked on ebay at the daystar ones and the skyjacker and i also thought about another rustys budget booster bc i dont have any problems with my other lift from them

what else will i need?
-longer brake lines
-drop pitman arm?

i hav a 98 with an auto trans and 231 t case and im doin a tom wood cv driveshaft and AA slip yoke kit

I would do front coil spacers and rear shackles.

brake lines, most likely, if you didn't do them with the 4.5". And yes, your front geometry is probably going to be out of whack enough that you'll get to experience death wobble, if you don't do a drop pitman arm, and/or a drop bracket for your trac bar. Other than that, since you're already doing the tom wood shaft and SYE, i think that's all i can think of.

i just got it aligned but ill keeep that in mind

what are the best coil spacers to get/ do any of them lose alot of height after being compressed for a while

and shackles greaseable or non

i run 33's but i havent trimmed yet and id rather not do that yet

alexer03 said:
i just got it aligned but ill keeep that in mind

what are the best coil spacers to get/ do any of them lose alot of height after being compressed for a while

and shackles greaseable or non

i run 33's but i havent trimmed yet and id rather not do that yet

ACOS by JKS are really good spacers, but I'd seriously consider trimming. Definately greasable shackles. I posted a write up that showed how to trim your fenders and look stock and you could definately fit 33's with 4.5"....check the FAQ forum for it, its there and stickied. Also consider your COG. If you do any crawling, you'll regret going higher than you have to....just my .02 though.

alexer03 said:
COG? center of gravity? so you mean stay low and trim and not roll. probably a good plan

Exactally. I had 6" of lift and 35's and didn't really care for the high COG and was a bit tippy in my opinion. I'm staying with 35's and going to 4.5" at the moment for a lower COG. It's all in how much you feel like trimming and how you bump stop your axles.

last time i went from 4.5" to 6" was when I saw the new issue of maxim....

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
last time i went from 4.5" to 6" was when I saw the new issue of maxim....

Haha!!

But about the coil spacers, the ACOS ones are cool, but expensive. I've had a set of no name 2" spacers for almost 3 years and they haven't compressed at all. And with the shackles, greasable. The zerg(?) fitting should be tucked up outta the way, so no worry about breaking it off WHEN you land on your leaf pack :) I know i do at least.

Adam

What are you doing for suspension links?

4.5" shortarm lift is streetable
6" shortarm lift really is not.

You might need to add drop brackets to the list.

Also, think bout your steering. You can drive on the street with 6" lift and stock steering, but if you try and wheel that way, you are going to destroy your draglink ends every run .. you need to address your steering angles at that height.

5.5" and shortarms is just as bad as 6" and shortarms. The angle of the control arms is too step for a reasonable and stable ride. When you hit a bump the axle is pushed 'back' and therefor 'down', when it needs to be going 'up'.

Drop brackets are cheap, sack up and do it - one of those mods where you have to ask "why didnt i do this years ago?". If you cant afford to go big; don't.

as good as? .. .. my head hurts.

No. In fact, those bends do nothing to help you and will cause you problems. I lied, don't go get drop brackets. Get a quality 4.5" lift and wheel that for a year, and then come back and I'll help you get safely to 6".

err

I re-read what I wrote last time up there and I came off like an ass; I didnt mean to.

What i meant to say is that what you are describing in your lift is not a platform you want to try and add to. For now, keep what you have, build your axles, get gears and a rear locker. Then buy a quality trackbar, then some rubicon express adjustable lowers, and later uppers, and then add drop brackets. Once those are in place, a steering upgrade. All of that will benefit you at your current height.

Once all of that is done, you can easily go up to 7-7.5" without a blink, and your rig will be built to take it.

Back