• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Questions for a new owner

mikegronholz

NAXJA Forum User
First off, howdy to everyone. I am a mechanic's dream come true as I seem to over react to every little thing. So, with that said, I just bought an 01 Sport 4dr 4x4 with 89,000 miles on it and have a few questions for everyone. The XJs main purpose is as a hunting vehicle to get me where I need to get, with the stuff i need to get there with (guns, dog, gear, etc). As far as basic description, it is quite clean all around. No oily sludge in the engine compartment, no oil or tranny discharge on the undercarriage. Temps run just to the left of center. Oil pressure rides around 35-40 at idle and around 50 while cruising.

Been doing a lot of reading and wanted to get a consolidated list of to do's and not to do's and most importantly advise from those in the know.

So, here goes ...

1 - Oil is a big topic and after reading and asking a couple of questions in that thread, I decided on a SM rated synth (Rotella Synthetic) ... could I do better ?

2 - Next big topic is "the head". I have 892xx miles as of today. Oil from the change listed above was used oil. Didn't have any signs of contaminants at all. Coolant bottle is full and staying that way. is there anything I can do to keep it healthy ?

3 - Lift choices - I think i have decided to use a kit i spent 2 hours talking to Dirk about at DPG. Looks like OME ZJ coils in front and 3" XJ packs with the additional AAL with all OME shocks, longer brake lines and discos. I am prepared for an SYE if needed ... probably an Adv Adap. For the hunting needs (no rock crawling), is there better ?

4 - Armor - I weld and have access to steel ... is there a company making stuff that is good and cheap enough to justify purchasing vs. building it myself ?

5 - My 1 annoying issue so far - the A/C - when at idle, the a/c compressor will kick on and makes the engine idle "bobble" a little bit ... like the needle will "dance" around the 800 rpm line. Turn A/C off, dead on 800 rpm, no bobble at all. Is this a sign that the compressor may be having issues, or is this quite normal ?

6 - Top 3 ... what would you say are the top 3 things i need to do ASAP (oil is done, diffs are going this weekend, tranny was checked and is bright red).

Thanks for all you help and advise !!!

Mike

mikegronholz said:
1 - Oil is a big topic and after reading and asking a couple of questions in that thread, I decided on a SM rated synth (Rotella Synthetic) ... could I do better ?

I'm currently in a 2000 with 125,000 on the clock and haven't felt any need to convert to synthetic. Having said that, I am using Castrol GTX High-Mileage formula in it to keep various seals, etc. a little bit better-conditioned. Seems to be working out fine.

2 - Next big topic is "the head". I have 892xx miles as of today. Oil from the change listed above was used oil. Didn't have any signs of contaminants at all. Coolant bottle is full and staying that way. is there anything I can do to keep it healthy ?

Change the oil and coolant, and regularly check their levels. Don't overheat it. That's about it, really. If you want to check, remove the oil filler cap and look between the #3 and #4 cylinders for any signs of cracking (usually found on the driver's side of the head). Chances are you're OK.

3 - Lift choices - I think i have decided to use a kit i spent 2 hours talking to Dirk about at DPG. Looks like OME ZJ coils in front and 3" XJ packs with the additional AAL with all OME shocks, longer brake lines and discos. I am prepared for an SYE if needed ... probably an Adv Adap. For the hunting needs (no rock crawling), is there better ?

I've had pretty much exactly this setup for the last year-and-a-half or so and love it. Add an adjustable trackbar and 4-degree rear axle shims to that list and you're set. RE's stuff (also available from DPG) is what I'd recommend.

4 - Armor - I weld and have access to steel ... is there a company making stuff that is good and cheap enough to justify purchasing vs. building it myself ?

DPG's full belly skid is pretty good. I'm also a fan of JCR Offroad and Custom 4x4 Fabrication.

One thing: if this Jeep doesn't have recovery points, get them on there before worrying about lifts, skidplates, etc. A rear receiver and front tow hooks aren't super-expensive but are worth their weight in gold when you're in need of a pull (or have to help someone else out).

5 - My 1 annoying issue so far - the A/C - when at idle, the a/c compressor will kick on and makes the engine idle "bobble" a little bit ... like the needle will "dance" around the 800 rpm line. Turn A/C off, dead on 800 rpm, no bobble at all. Is this a sign that the compressor may be having issues, or is this quite normal ?

Mine did that too when the A/C was still functional (I have a semi-dead compressor right now, but don't believe the two to be related), and I seem to recall that my 2001 did the same thing. Never seemed to be indicative of an actual problem, so I ignored it.

6 - Top 3 ... what would you say are the top 3 things i need to do ASAP (oil is done, diffs are going this weekend, tranny was checked and is bright red).

Cooling system acid flush and fresh anti-freeze. Power steering if you feel so inclined. Seafoam the throttle body, intake manifold, and IAC, then dump the rest in the fuel tank. If it doesn't have an auxiliary transmission cooler, I strongly recommend adding one.

Last edited:
casm said:
If it doesn't have an auxiliary transmission cooler, I strongly recommend adding one.
I forgot to mention, the PO added the B&M cooler with the little gauge. Only in stop and go at 98* yesterday did it finally reach 160*. On the drive home from picking it up, I actually wondered if the gauge worked ... it never moved past its resting spot at 100*.

Thanks for the info ...

Of course, after posting I second guessed myself :D So I double checked the old oil ... Looks like warm chocolate syrup ... dark brown. And on the way home the temp got to 210-215 for the first time ... it is like 98* today though. And only did this while topped lights. Once I got going, temps dropped pretty quick back dow to 200* or so. Sound normal ?

mikegronholz said:
Of course, after posting I second guessed myself :D So I double checked the old oil ... Looks like warm chocolate syrup ... dark brown.

Use a decent filter - avoid Fram or Pennzoil. I've had good luck with the OEM and Bosch Premium filters. Wix are supposed to be pretty good, but I've never used them.

And on the way home the temp got to 210-215 for the first time ... it is like 98* today though. And only did this while topped lights. Once I got going, temps dropped pretty quick back dow to 200* or so. Sound normal ?

Yep. As long as the electric fan is kicking in and taking temperatures back down to 210degF, that's about what I've seen as well. FWIW, I was out in the desert yesterday in 115degF heat and saw the exact same behaviour. This was with the A/C off and in mixed highway and off-road driving. At a steady 75mph or so, though, the coolant stayed just under 210degF - I'm estimating slightly above 195degF, since this is what the thermostat should be set to open at.

thanks ... I am using a Mobil1 filter.

Back