• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 swap questions

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, here and elsewhere, but just want to make sure I've got it right.

I've got a XJ D44 that I'm putting under my 96 XJ. I'm going to keep the gears, 3.55, and drum brakes, as I'm staying at 31" tires right now and don't have the funds for a disc brake conversion or gears. Here's my two questions:

I've take the brakes apart to clean up the backing plates, but to remove them I need to remove the axle shaft. Can I remove the shaft and reinstall with out having to mess with the bearings or seals, if everything looks ok?

I might go a head and replace the bearings and seals anyway, but want to know. I have read that some people have had issues with he replacement bearings.

While trying to remove the hard line, it twisted off of the fitting. Am I best off buying a pre-flared length for each side and bending it myself? or buying the replacement part?

Also, here's my plan/parts, if anyone wants to critique it (my XJ is my daily driver):

XJ D44
Rebuilt drum brakes (new wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware)
New hard bake line and RE SST flex line
New U-bolts
New u-joint
DPG Bumpstop plates
RuffStuff cover with lubelocker gasket

Maybe (75%) an Aussie Locker, and new bearings/seals.

And since I'm at it, putting in an OME add-a-leaf and Long travel shocks.

Thanks,
Mike

You can remove the axle shafts and not damage the seals and bearings. Just undo the four nuts that hold the retainer on and yank em out. Reverse this to reinstall if everything is fine.

I'd just custom bend the hardline if you don't mind the minimal extra effort.

Yep, you can do it. If the bearings look alright, then keep em. You will want to put RTV on the outer lip of the seal though when you're putting the shafts back in. I have two XJ44s and both of them have leaked, not from where the sealing surface rides on the shaft, but where the seal goes into the axle shaft.

Once you get the axle bolted up and the wheels on, I would change the pinion seal (IMO, it's easier to change the pinion seal with the axle in the vehicle, but that's just me).

You've got the right idea, I got lucky and found a D44 from an 87 XJ pioneer and did the swap. I went with 4.10 gears and a powertrax no-slip and I love it, the locker is quiet and the new ratio turns my 32's like stock tires. Also you should know that with the metric ton package that axle came with 10.25" diameter x 2.25" wide drums and as long as you keep them adjusted right they will stop that XJ on a dime. you would be better served by spending that money on something like a re-gear or a winch.

Back