• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those of you without stock Airboxes...

Chero-King

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to put a cone filter and cold air tube on my '88.
What am I to do with the vaccum lines going into the stock airbox, and intake hose? Do I remove them... plug them...forget the idea?
I mean, I know you can get cold air kits, but since this one isn't made for the Jeep, is there something I can do with the lines?

Chero-King said:
I dont want to buy one... I already have a better tube that will flow a lot better than that. Just want to know if I can remove the lines, or what to do with them

if your tube doesn't have the vac line holes, it isnt better

IslanderOffRoad said:
if your tube doesn't have the vac line holes, it isnt better

Well, It's more expensive, larger diameter, better flowing, and its polished aluminum :)
I understand what you're getting at.. but I'm just wondering what people do with the Vac lines when say, they use there stock intake hose, and just add a K&N cone filter... specifiaclly the lines that go into the air box.

Beej said:
Mine has vent lines, not vacuum lines, and I just piped them into the intake tube...

:dunno:

Thats what I was thinking of doing, but does the positioning matter? (closer to the filter, as opposed to closer to the TB?)

I cut mine so that it was located at approximately the same distance as before. That way, I only needed to buy a Vent nipple and didn't need to mess with the stock tubing...

My 98 had a vent tube going to the valve cover. I just bought a pushin type filter from Advanced Auto and put it in the valve cover and used straight 3" muffler pipe (nappa) and a K&N universal clamp on filter. I riged a metal strap type bracket like on the rusty unit to stop it from flopping around.
Reminds me of a joke: How do you say brazzier (Bra) in German?

Keepsumfromfloppin.

2068.jpg

I got mine at Kragen for 15$, i paid to much but mine looks a little different and is a lower profile. Looks OK but nothing else under my hood is chrome.

selarep said:
2068.jpg

I got mine at Kragen for 15$, i paid to much but mine looks a little different and is a lower profile. Looks OK but nothing else under my hood is chrome.

x2 put that on the front ov the valve cover and a tube from the hole in the rear of the valve cover to an empty port on the intake manifold. Works great

Hmm.... after all this reading I think I might have misplaced one of my hoses. It looks I should have had 2 comin off the air box and I only have one... Hmm...

selarep said:
Hmm.... after all this reading I think I might have misplaced one of my hoses. It looks I should have had 2 comin off the air box and I only have one... Hmm...

come to think of it i think i only have one as well. are you sure that there are supposed to be two of them?

Beej said:
Maybe its the year, but mine only had one as well, and its a

98 here

Stumpalump said:
My 98 had a vent tube going to the valve cover. I just bought a pushin type filter from Advanced Auto and put it in the valve cover and used straight 3" muffler pipe (nappa) and a K&N universal clamp on filter. I riged a metal strap type bracket like on the rusty unit to stop it from flopping around.
Reminds me of a joke: How do you say brazzier (Bra) in German?

Keepsumfromfloppin.

the device was designed by a german fashion designer, his name was

Baron Von Titsling

selarep said:
2068.jpg

That's pretty much what I did, except mine is flat black with an exposed filter element. I got it in the "honduh performance accessories" section at Pep Boys. The rubber end fit right over the plastic elbow in the valve cover, and I hose clamped it there. Done.

Back