• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift on 33"s

XJsport23

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Rusty's 3" lift, and my 31" tires are going to need to be replaced soon. I've always liked the XJ's with 5" on 35"s, so I was thinking 3 on 33s would look good. If any of you guys run this set up post some pictures of your XJ, and if any of you have any helpful advice for this that would be great too. I already know I'm going to trim and bumpstop accordingly.

Yeah trimming and bumpstops, maybe upgrade your axles deppending on what you're running right now.

Tire clearance between a 3" and 5" lift is 2".

Tire clearance between 35" and 33" tires is only 1"

So you will be tighter with a 3" and 33" than you would with a 5" and 35"

That being said, what year is your XJ. I think th earlier models give a bit more tire clearance. I have an '88 with a RE 3.5" lift running 33x10.5.

No street rubbing.

Sorry no pics.

A friend with 3" and 33 TSLs. Fenders are trimmed, wheels very well.

DSC01166.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

Axles wont be a problem, its a 98 with the 8.25 so I should be okay. I think any other 33"s would be smaller than those TSL's because super swampers actually run more true to size. Maybe 32"s would be a better idea. I just want more tire size. I know 32"s would be easy and would look better, I just wanted to look into 33"s as an option.

If it's your DD, then 32s might be a better way to go. I have a DD with 3" of lift, 32s and very minor trimming. Still has stock fender flares, just the bottom ends of them are trimmed off. Not really any sheet metal trimming though. I'm a big fan of 32s, 3.55s 3" of lift even for DDing, it's perfect IMO.

If it's primarily a wheeling rig, then get the sawzall out and buy some 33s!!

As long as you trim enough you should be good, and dont mind if your fenders start self clearancing :p

I've got a RE 3.5" super ride, and 33 x 12.5". Embrace your inner cutting maving. I still getting a touch of rubbing on full lock or compression.
195554176.jpg

The factory flares lasted about 30 seconds after the picture was taken. I drove the Jeep down the little hill in the pic, and had all kinds of rubbing.

i just recently ordered at 3.5" RE Superflex kit. Was planning on just getting 31x10.50s, but have been reading about fender trimming and might try 32x11.50s. I've never done anything like fender trimming and feel like i would screw up more than i would fix. anyone else feel like this before they trimmed their fenders? do you have to worry about rust where you cut? i also just have stock rims for now, will be buying new rims hopefully in a couple months. what type of back spacing to stock rims have?

i fit 31 x 10.50 pro comp mud terrians on my stock 88 with factory rims(i love my sawzall) but honestly didnt trim much and only rub the sway bar at alittle at full lock if i had less backspacing or 1 inch spacers i wouldnt rub at all. so i wouldnt think that it would be that hard to make 33s fit on 3 inches

nootay said:
i just recently ordered at 3.5" RE Superflex kit. Was planning on just getting 31x10.50s, but have been reading about fender trimming and might try 32x11.50s. I've never done anything like fender trimming and feel like i would screw up more than i would fix. anyone else feel like this before they trimmed their fenders? do you have to worry about rust where you cut? i also just have stock rims for now, will be buying new rims hopefully in a couple months. what type of back spacing to stock rims have?

On my first Jeep the fenders were already a mess of rust, so it wasn't a concern to me. When I trimmed the Jeep in the pic, it had a lot more rust in the rear quarters than I thought. I was nervous, as I am planning on keeping this Jeep for a while. But it's really a pretty simple process.

I use 4" backspacing rims. I can't quite turn to the factory stop settings. I rub on the factory lower control arm.

Another thing, I know I wont have problems trimming the front to make them fit (might go with the slickrock flares if you know what those are), but what about the rear? I'm assuming I shouldn't trim past those spot welds, but is there a way to trim out the rear more to get extra clearance? I just am not a fan of how tight the fit is out back with the 33"s on.

33x12.5 Intercos with supposed to be 5.5"(on when I bought it). Trim Fenders, with TJ Flares I cut up the treads well last weekend, but had crazy articulation on all corners. Working on 1" spacers this weekend and extended bumpstops.
P1050081.jpg

I wheel 33x12.50 tires on 3.5" of lift.

It works pretty well. Here are some pics

Trimmed front and left the rear alone. Didnt touch the bumpstops either.

l_7b18e5f56fca2543d5258d8eaa56b400.jpg

l_be14645c3b3358f11586da503d3f7934.jpg

Here it is next to my friends cherokee on 3" and 31s

l_168953a68493ac5b43c775c4e3171db5.jpg

Damn 93xj I think you just convinced me, that looks good. I'll post up pics when I get this done but I'm not sure how long it will be, I have a lot of shit to get fixed up first, got a nice long list of problems at the moment.

I've been considering this myself for a while now, and this discussion is leaning me towards doing it. I have a 3" Rusty's lift and 31's. I have already trimmed and now have plenty of clearance for the 31's and I am willing to trim more and relocate the flares to fit 33x10.5's. But, what I want to know is .... is the larger tire size (33 vs 31) worth it if I have to give up some flex/ wheel travel? I'm thinking that I will loose at least 1" up-travel in the front, since I can now rub my 31's on the front inner fender liner with the sway bar disconnected. Trimming the fenders/ flares won't stop this from happening,... the top of the fender lining will limit the up-travel, or I can put in longer bump-stops. I'm thinking that this is worth an extra 1" of ground clearance gained by the 33's. What's everyone else's thoughts on this? Thanks.

Back