• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone run High-tec's and airsoft BBs?

Beast XJ01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi gang!

Just got my High-tec retreads in today (just ordered them Friday!) and am thinking about picking up a Harbor Freight tire changer and doing the changeover myself..... anyone here run the airsoft BB "balancing" with retreads with any success?

Being new to both retreads, BB balancing, AND mounting tires, I'd like to NOT be the guinea pig on this one....but do want to save more money.

Oh, and the tires are 30x9.50x15 AT with BFG 3-ply casings

Beast

Sounds like a lot of trouble. I paid Discount Tire to mount mine for $50. That includes free balancing for life too. Some things are just too cheap and easy to pass up.

im not balanced at all and i dont have vibes unless i go 80, and with a lifted jeep and 33's, you shouldnt be going 80 anyway.

i have cragar soft 8's and 33x12.5 baja claws

The retreads will have to be balanced. Sometimes they take a lot of weights. I'm on my second set of retreads. This set didn't need as much as the previous set did. The last ones took a lot of lead to get balanced.

I've got a H/F tire mounter and bubble balancer. I mounted and balanced my 35" BFG M/T's perfectly. I've mounted several sets of tires, so my setup has more than paid for itself.

A good thing about doing it yourself is that you will actually take the time to do it right, not just slap a tire on the rim and then add 2 pounds of weight to "balance" it. I took my time, oriented the tires to their most balanced point W/O weights, and the most weight that I had to use on the worst tire/rim combo was 5 ounces. The best only used 2.25 ounces, and they ride great.

I ordered some stick-on weights from eBay, and stuck them in the center of the wheel, away from rocks and debris. It's true that some things may be too cheap to pass up, but I like taking the extra time to do it right, and that makes all the effort worth it in the long run.

I'm on the retreads, and I'd reccomend you pay someone to balance them.

I knocked a weight off installing the wheels on a new axle, and got a nice wobble out of it, its worth the money to know someone did it right.

Having your own tire machine kicks ass.

I do all my own tire work with my buddies HF machine. A couple things though. You will want to beef the bead breaker up a bit. Just weld a piece of flat steel to where you see it bending. Also, you will want to mount it SOLIDLY to ease actually using the machine. We welded a piece of 2 inch sqare tubing to the bottom of ours that plugs into a 2 inch reciever that we cemented into the ground.

I also balance with BB's. on my 35 crawlers with beadlocks, I use 9oz of regular steel copper coated bb's. I can drive up to 70mph with no wobbles. Dynamic balancing is awesome.

Ralph said:
Sounds like a lot of trouble. I paid Discount Tire to mount mine for $50. That includes free balancing for life too. Some things are just too cheap and easy to pass up.

Discount Tire mounts/balances tires that they don't sell? And still does the lifetime balancing?

I keep hearing horror stories that regular places either won't install larger non-stock tires or tires not bought from them.

Guess I'm gonna have to make some more calls, cause $50ish is cheaper than buying the HF tools and BBs....

At least after the changeover I can sell my old stock spare to make some money back, it's never been on the road.... seems I forgot to put in in the rotation.

Beast

I bought a set of 5 take-offs from the jeep dealer and was quoted $50 to mount and balance by discount, for $15 more they would add the lifetime balance.

I would just have someone mount/balance them for you, ideally a place that will balance them again for free.

BeastXJ01, how did the retreads measure out? I've heard they are larger than most others for the listed size, which makes sense. I've been thinking of getting them in 30s or 31s.

you should be able to run bb's in them for ballancing just fine. It would be the same as any other tire. the biggest plus about bb's is you wont have to get them reballanced with time and if you get mud on the iside of your rim or something it wont cause a miss ballance.

I am also wondering how they measure out as i am now looking at the high-tec D-Mud/S tires

Call me stupid, but can someone explain the BB thing? Do you just put them inside the tire? What does that do exactly?

Holy crap... I am about to go buy some BBs...
Why cant I come up with something like that?

Back