• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA related a/c clutch question

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i just had this thought.
in a normally functioning a/c system, doesn't the clutch cycle on/off like every 10 or 20 seconds???

so if you use the a/c compressor for onboard air and end up doing some trail repair using air tools with a small tank (i have a 7gallon tank at 90on/150off psi) that would obviously make it run longer.

does that have any bad effect on the a/c clutch or the compressor??? or is the 10 or 20second on/off cycle just because that's all a a/c system needs to stay cool and and pressurized???

sorry i didn't see the answer in there. BUT. i just thought of another question to add.

normally i drain some if not all the air out of the tank when not in use. but lets say for example that i have 7gallons at 150psi, the windows were closed and it was like 90 degrees outside. how much would the pressure in the tank expand???

The A/C compressor can and will run constantly if needed in a working A/C system. So you're good there.

As far as your expantion question. If you're using a safety blow off valve (like you should be) it won't be a problem.

scorpio_vette said:
normally i drain some if not all the air out of the tank when not in use. but lets say for example that i have 7gallons at 150psi, the windows were closed and it was like 90 degrees outside. how much would the pressure in the tank expand???

look up the ideal gas law...

PV=nRT...

its not too hard beyond that... except of course that Air is not an ideal gas, but for a close approximation - you'd be fine...

Your compressor will be fine running full time while you are using tools etc. The air in the tank won't expand enough to be a problem unless you live in death valley or something, even then...

scorpio_vette said:
sorry i didn't see the answer in there. BUT. i just thought of another question to add.

The compressor tank and CO2 tank in my garage has never exploded due to it being hot out.

cool. just wondering. didn't have anything else to wonder about.

OBA has been working fine for the last 8months or so since i set it up. safety pop off valve and all. only problem i had so far was my air hose melting through because my exhaust got to hot and heated up the floor. :)

Back