• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is confirmed available with ZDDP

Rambler100

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading the posts on oil here and searched the net for some info as well. What I'm hoping is that some reliable source to address the problem will result. Most of the reccommendations have involved buying the last remaining bottles of stuff. Anyway a search on the internet showed this has been going on since 2005 so we are 2 or 3 years into it although apparently 2007 is the period of another reduction. See chart ( http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/photo_10.html )
These articles adress the wear and failure issue from a classic car or hotrod perspective. ( ttp://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/hppp_0606_understanding_motor_oil/conclusion.html )(
So anyway what to do. I went by Walmart looking for what was there and every oil was SM. Even the Diesel like Castrol Textion Extra Heavy Duty Wear Protected read API CJ-4, Cl-4 Plus, Cl-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4/SM (SM being the final code in the field.
I did find STP Oil STabilizer the Racers edge in a quart bottle which claimed more anti-wear than other oil stabilizers citing ZDDP expressly. product code 7113 78517 5.
There appears to be a Joe Gibbs Racing oil on the internet. And a BG additive.
There is the reccommendation in one of the articles of using GM EOS assembly lubricant (PN 1052367) said to be essentially ZDDP in a bottle but that is going away too.

So after most of the discussion where does one find a good reccommmedation for the long term and not just using up old stock one finds by luck?
Many thanks. I'd just like to keep this '95 going a while. 173,000 now and still solid.

I think everbody's too worked up about the new oils.
I've done oil analysis on mine a few times with new Havoline, and looked at several others with various brands, and they all looked extremely good.

Back