• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crawl Ratio(?)

oakesters

NAXJA Forum User
*First- I have 35's with and d30 with 4:56 and a rear d44 with 4;56 with a stock t-case gearing.Auto/4.0/ wheel in the rocks!/ not my dd
1) whats a good crawl ratio, for me -
2) whats better D30 w/4:56w/4to1 or a d44 with 5:13? or 4to1 and 5.13?

oakesters said:
*First- I have 35's with and d30 with 4:56 and a rear d44 with 4;56 with a stock t-case gearing.Auto/4.0/ wheel in the rocks!/ not my dd

What kind of wheeling are you looking to do? Mud, sand, rocks, trails?

I would only do the 4:1 case if you plan on hanging around rocks entirely. Even then I don't think it's worth the investment. I believe a lot of the guys on the forum who run 35s in varied terrain run axle ratios in the 5.13/5.38 range and t-cases with either stock gearing or an atlas with 3.0 or 3.8 gearing.

Israel said:
What kind of wheeling are you looking to do? Mud, sand, rocks, trails?

:D

First off 4.88's are the lowest your going to get in the D-30 as I recall. And if you go with D-44's front and rear, just go all the way down.
I run D-44's front and rear with 5.38's and a tear low 4:1 with the AW-4 for a wopping 61:1. This is a real hinderance. There are many places I won't/can't go.
That's why the Atlas II 4 speed goes in next week.:eek:
Can you say 153:1..........

:party:

The crawl ratio is the number of turns of the transmission input to the number of turns of the axle shafts. The larger the tire the farther you will travel for one revolution of the shafts due to larger circumference tires.

Ratio for an AW-4 with 5.13's and stock T-case is 39.3:1. That's good for cruising the fire roads or green trails.
You mentioned rocks and not a DD. That would be TOO high a crawl for a tough obsticle like a ledge, inclined rock face or a large tree. you'd be going very quickly and would not enjoy all the momentum you'd carry as you crested the obsticle. A 4:1 T-case brings that ratio down to 57.8:1. Much better. IMO

What would be my crawl ratio with my 4:56 and 4to1 be? will it be good for the rocks?or will i still want/need lower?(i seen crash guide to gearing, be it didn t have 4to1 for t-case) Thanks for all the help)-Ron

keep in mind that the crawl ratio for the AW4 (or any automatic) is effectively double the calculated rate due to torque multiplication.

MaXJohnson said:
keep in mind that the crawl ratio for the AW4 (or any automatic) is effectively double the calculated rate due to torque multiplication.

AKA Torque Convertor
That was the answer I did the search for: Thank you !

34.73:1 would be about 69 and a half. right ? That is pretty good for a rig that still hits the street fairly often isn't it. It does rocks fairly well too.

Back