• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

redline MT-90?

oceansize

NAXJA Forum User
seems like alot of people are running this stuff in the ax-15. my question is has anyone had bad luck with this stuff in a ax-15?

Other than the OEM stuff at $16 a quart it's the only thing you can run in them and the OEM is not synthetic.

I ran a mix of Redline MTL90 and MTL it in my AX15. I went with the mix because it does get well below freezing here at times and the AX15 is known for cold shifting issues. Serious improvment over cheap stuff.

When I rebuilt the tranny (bad synchros when I got it) I put in GL4 from NAPA with the intention of draining and refilling with synthetic after a week of breakin. It shifted so bad with the cheap oil that I thought I screwed up the rebuild and was ready to tear it apart again. I decided to change to the Redline first and see what happened. All the shifting problems disappeared immediately and it shifted great. The first couple of 1-2 shifts were still a little stiff on those -15*F mornings though. :}

lawsoncl said:
I ran a mix of Redline MTL90 and MTL it in my AX15. I went with the mix because it does get well below freezing here at times and the AX15 is known for cold shifting issues. Serious improvment over cheap stuff.

When I rebuilt the tranny (bad synchros when I got it) I put in GL4 from NAPA with the intention of draining and refilling with synthetic after a week of breakin. It shifted so bad with the cheap oil that I thought I screwed up the rebuild and was ready to tear it apart again. I decided to change to the Redline first and see what happened. All the shifting problems disappeared immediately and it shifted great. The first couple of 1-2 shifts were still a little stiff on those -15*F mornings though. :}

I had the same dramatic improvement when I changed the factory ATF for the Mobil-1 ATF in my 231, went into and out of 4Lo like greased lightning, no more having to coax it in. I have the old mobil-1 gear fluid in my 98, I bought a case of it about 6 years ago, back when it was GL3 and while it improved it it was still cold blooded on winter mornings. I've run out of the old mobil so I picked up some of the Redline MT-90, just need to get round to putting it in...

To get it thinner at low temps to help the cold shifting (especially on those below zero winter mornings). My only complaint about the AX15 is that when cold, the 1-2 shifts were stiff. I didn't want to thin the hot temp viscosity too much, so I settle on mixing the MTL and MTL90 50/50.

Back