• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leak help

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
so i've had a small and slow oil leak for as long as i've owned my rig. tracing it to the valve cover, nothing to major. a few weeks ago i noticed that it's now leaking from just about every where. i noticed that the vent hose from the valve cover is pinched off or collapsed. would this cause excess pressure and possibly explain the sudded major leakage ?

I believe it could.

On a 87 model I had......long since gone......it would leak at the valve covers and when you resealed them, it would leak at the oil pan. If you resealed the oil pan the valve covers would start leaking again!!

I got impatient with stopping the leaks and finally put a long block in it as it had quite a bit of blowby. The thing was getting gas mileage in the low 20's, but compression test were showing a lot a wear on cylinder #1....as it heats and cools the fastest....with a rebuilt engine, the mileage dropped off to the 17mpg range and never came back up.

If you clear the stoppages and then while the engine is running remove the oil filler cap and your venting a lot of gas/pressure there, you have blowby as well.

mojojojo said:
i noticed that the vent hose from the valve cover is pinched off or collapsed. would this cause excess pressure and possibly explain the sudded major leakage ?
Yes... It could your engine needs to vent the crankcase pressure and that tube is part of that system. otherwise it will find gaskets or seals to leak from.

Back