• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap advice

Rapoza

NAXJA Forum User
I got a deal on a pair of axles from an 80s military w200. They are a D44 low pinion at the front and a D60 at the back. Both 8 lug.

Now i'm running Toyota 8,8" axles (65" wide) in my Jeep and not very happy with this japos. Definately wanna return to "domestics"

But I can't decide on buying this w200 axles as I see some problems on swaping to this.

They are slightly wider (67")
They are on 8 lug and now i'm using two sets 6 lug wheels that will be un useable.
The front is a lo pinion.

The passenger pumking position isn't a problem at all

What do you think about it? It will be a good thing to buy these axles?
Are the 8 lug rims more expensive than the "standard"? And they will make the jeep more wide?

Now i'm running a powered I6 and perhaps a 6.2 LS1 in a near future.

Personally, if I were going to go through all the effort of swapping in a dana 44 in the front of my rig, I would hold out for a high pinion axle. Are you performing the swap in Spain or are you there temporarily?

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the toy rear axle? I've never ran them, but I hear alot of good from people who have.

I'm from Spain. Thats the reason for that bad english I'm writing :laugh:

The fact is that here is very, very difficult to find any parts por an american car. You have to put yourself in 3 or 4 dudes hands for importing big parts and they always want an arm and a leg for the most stupid thing.

Example: 700R4 stock 1000€ -> 1250$ aprox, and without any guarantee.

These axles are of a friend of mine, and he gives me a really, really good price.

The Toy axles initially seem a good thing, the rear better than the front, despite that is 30 splined vs the 31 splined F8.8 (that was my previous rear) but lately you begin to experience torsions, rattles and limitations of the damn thing.

For example, the front axle has a noticeable bigger turning radius than any D30 or other with ujoints. But, when you engage the locker (if he wants, thats another) you get only 1/2 of the steering avaliable, beyond that point the CV joints start to make disintegrating sounds.

I rebuilt completely both axles, but lacks oils from pumpkings regulary (seems that rigid diff with a fair rigid housing don't work well) and water enters through the front Ujoint balls :banghead:

what about just getting the 60 and waiting for an hp44

Thats a possibility... uhmmm, but the front Toyo diff is the one thats making me sad. Also theres the 8 vs 6 bolt question.

Israel, sorry I don't know if I asked your question at all. The rear Toyo 8,8" requires rebuliding the diff gasket from time to time or it throws some oil, and the electric locker engagement doesn't have enough force to move completely in all situations, and don't posts is state.

Other than that, i like my Jeep being all "made" in USA. ;)

Last edited:
Rapoza said:
The fact is that here is very, very difficult to find any parts por an american car. You have to put yourself in 3 or 4 dudes hands for importing big parts and they always want an arm and a leg for the most stupid thing.
Make friends with a US military person and get them to have parts shipped to you. There should be no duties or import taxes and no "handling fees".

Back