• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R134a conversion kit for XJ - Any recommendations?

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
1987 XJ 4.0

The pressure is so low the compressor clutch will not even cycle. It was like this when I bought it 3 years ago, so I am sure the freon is all gone by now. I don't have R12 guages, so I can't check the pressures, but I am sure it is empty.

The government has made R12 unavailable to the common man, so I am thinking about converting to R134a. Can anybody recommend a conversion kit that they have had success with? I would also appreciate it if you can recommend a source for the kit where I won't get dragged over the coals.

TIA

CarQuest

I had the same problem. CARQUEST has some R134a that contains oil and conditioner that is "compatible” with any old oil that remains. Any way, I bought an upgrade kit and installed the new R134a. Nada! Then after looking around discovered that the orifice tubes have a valve on the ends that was CLOSED. Check those and turn them inward to open. Fill it and (NOT RECOMMENDED-this ones up to you-BE CAREFUL: I bumped the AC clutch with a large flat tip screwdriver to get the compressor to turn.) I had to do this on two or three occasions, then I let out just a bit of the 134a/oil from the system and it was brownish for a second or two. After that I topped it off and it has worked like a champ ever since. Good Luck-Dave:peace:

if the system basically works (clutch cycles), Autoairplus.com sells 14 oz cans of R12 for 40 apiece. You probably need two at the most. r134 will result in a system that cools less efficiently.

If you do retrofit be sure to either get the system completely FLUSHED or buy refrigerant with ESTER oil instead of the normal pag. PAG is not compatible with residual r12 oil, and ester is.

You should be able to pick up everything you'll need at autozone.

Also, remember that you MUST evacuate the system with a vacuum pump before you do a charge from empty. Air in there will either make it not work or cause weird problems.

Pick up a Haynes techbook. It'll give you the info you need.

edit: DO NOT use any alternatives, especially freeze 12. They are all cocktails of other refrigerants - freeze 12 is about 30% r134 and much more expensive.

Back