• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't Start But Turns Over

praetorian

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with the I6 and it won't start, but the engine turns over. I've released pressure through the Fuel Pressure Test Port and very little fuel comes out when it's turning over. Is this a sign of a bad fuel pump or clogged filter.

Also above the interior fuse panel is a button. Is that for resetting the rollover valve?

I can post pics if needed.

i have the same problem i have a 90 cherokee 4.0 i put another motor in it
it turns over but wont start i dont get any spark so if you hear somthing let me know

I suggest you use (borrow or buy) a pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure. Releasing fuel over an engine you're cranking is a recipe for disaster.

You can also try spraying starter fluid down the TB while cranking to see if it fires. This would determine if you're truly having a fuel problem. If it still doesn't, it may be electrical or a combo of both.

Then, yes clogged filters, weak pump, even bad gas, can cause this.

Rollover? You mean for the fuel? These are usually in the fuel tank.

Classic symptoms of a bad CPS. It's on the back of the drivers side of the engine above the bellhousing. You'll need about 2 ft. of extensions to reach the two bolts that hold it on.

IMO, the easiest way is to remove the wire coming from the coil to the distributor (at the dist end) and one spark plug (pick any). Put the plug in the boot from the coil and lay the threaded part against the block (or any good ground). Have someone crank the engine and see if the plug sparks.

You can also just put a screw driver in the boot but that requires you to hold it close to but not touching a ground source. If you touch the blade, you'll get zapped. You won't die but it will get your attention. ;)

There are also spark testers you can buy that you touch the spark plug wire. If you have (or know someone) with a timing light, that'll work too.

Back